Powerline network adapters across distrubution boards

alex_boothby

In Runtime
Hi all,

First off, I apologise for my ignorance and I am certain I will say many stupid things and use the wrong terminology!

I work at a Holiday park that is quite large. We have a few toilet blocks that are out the way, but we would like to get the internet down there. The distance is too far to run an ethernet cable down. However, obviously there is cabling that runs from the distribution board down to the toilet blocks for electricity.

My question is, is there some way we could use Powerline adaptors to get the internet to the toilet blocks. The router is on a different distribution board (and phase I imagine?!). Is there a bit of wizardry that can be done to make this happen?

I hope what I mean gets across.

I am sure there is a lot of info missing that you would need to answer, but please do let me know if there is something you need to know and I can find out.

I'm obviously not asking for a how-to guide, but just know if it as possible before I contact contractors. Unfortunately, our electrician doesn't know anything about powerlines.

Many thanks in advance

I'm guessing that if the distance is too far for cat5 or cat6 than it's probably also too far for powerline adapters. The easiest way to find out is to give it a try and see if it works.

If this distance is too great for copper and you're seeing interference on the line, maybe you can do a fiber run? Or if there is line of sight between the buildings, you can get a couple wds wireless units and use that.

Back
Top Bottom