Power line Internet

xMalcom

In Runtime
My Dad just told me about this Powerline Internet. I think it's kinda pointless since we already have a router and this also limits how many people i can have connected what do you think?

The main point is so you can have wired internet, but not have to run ethernet cable through your house.

All the ethernet cables are in my room lol. only cable going through my place would be the coaxial in to the modem. So let me git it right the box grabs a wi-fi signal and then lets you wire it?

No, you plug ethernet from the router into a unit, plug it into an AC outlet, and then plug another one into another AC outlet (on the same circuit I believe) and then that has an ethernet jack as well. Then you can plug in a computer/switch into that port, and have network connectivity.

Edit: More info for you on how exactly it works here: http://www.howstuffworks.com/power-network.htm

Power line ethernet is a good option in areas where it's not possible to use wireless or if the wireless gets degraded, and running a new cable is not easily done. I have used it in that type of situation and has worked well but if you have a decent wireless signal or can easily run a cable, that option might be better and more cost effective for you

I use this. I have 4 D-link PowerlineAV 500s in my house. One is at the source, my main PC. The others are at my two PS3s and my second PC. The WiFi still works for laptops and tablets, but the Powerlines are about twice as fast. It also lets me print to my main PC from my second.

My Router and Modem are in the same Room. My dad suggested this option but all the cables are in room and i dont mind them so i was like idk

Quick tip: I used a powerline adapter b4 and took me forever to find out i could hear the signal coming out of my guitar amp, lol so just in case you have a amp don't think its broke.

Back
Top Bottom