Potentially the longest thread in history...

Moving on..

Holy **** reading the comments of this review makes me want to scream. So, so many completely clueless people. There are some points of views on VR I understand:

1) You're not interested in mobile VR.
Fine, i'm not too bothered either about mobile vr

2) You don't like how big and bulky the headsets are right now.
Fine, because it's true. They need to be slimmer & lighter

3) You've tried it and don't like it.
Fine, can't argue with that!

BUT. Most of these comments are just flat out ignorant, and completely incorrect and stupid. There are gems like:

"Samsung don't have 3D screens so gearvr isn't 3D" wut
"This is just the same as Google Cardboard" wut again
"This won't be popular because people don't like to be antisocial" Yes they do, and VR is way less anti social than traditional gaming in a lot of ways
"This would be much better on iPhone" wut, no, stfu
"VR is only good for first person games" no no no nooooooooo. Where do I start...
"Why would I want to ruin my eyesight" eh..
"honestly it's way out of date" dafuq bro ?

Samsung Gear VR Review - IGN

I am going to have to stop playing Rocket League with random people now. 230 hours of play time, and things are just getting worse every day. It's really sad. When the game first launched, 95% of players were nice, used the team chat, didn't get angry when you f'd up. Now i'd say that's dropped down to 50%. Every other match I play, I will get some dick head kid. Some of them are unbelieable. Today we were 20 seconds into a game, 0 - 0. My teammate had already decided that "omg you suck so bad im forfeiting". He actually voted to forfeit after 20 seconds, apparently I was that bad. I hate forfeiting so I carried on playing. I scored twice, and ended up with double my team mates score. At the end he starts saying crap like "you ****ing suck, uninstall the game now, u did nuffink". Unfortunately this is a pretty common occurence. Some of these new players just have zero tolerence for any messups (yet conveniently don't seem to think they have ever ****ed up, even when they do, mulltiple times..). You can score 4 goals, then miss a save, and just get completely verbally assaulted. I hate it.

tl;dr young teenage dick heads are ruining my favorite game in years.

Fortunately a norwegian buddy of mine also likes the game a lot, so we play very regularly. He's awesome because I can play really bad for hours on end and we just laugh about it.
Usually we play a lot but for some reason he hasn't wanted to play on PC the past couple of weeks. We disgust most of the 12 year olds playing so they don't even type anymore.

Moving on..

Holy **** reading the comments of this review makes me want to scream. So, so many completely clueless people. There are some points of views on VR I understand:

1) You're not interested in mobile VR.
Fine, i'm not too bothered either about mobile vr

2) You don't like how big and bulky the headsets are right now.
Fine, because it's true. They need to be slimmer & lighter

3) You've tried it and don't like it.
Fine, can't argue with that!

BUT. Most of these comments are just flat out ignorant, and completely incorrect and stupid. There are gems like:

"Samsung don't have 3D screens so gearvr isn't 3D" wut
"This is just the same as Google Cardboard" wut again
"This won't be popular because people don't like to be antisocial" Yes they do, and VR is way less anti social than traditional gaming in a lot of ways
"This would be much better on iPhone" wut, no, stfu
"VR is only good for first person games" no no no nooooooooo. Where do I start...
"Why would I want to ruin my eyesight" eh..
"honestly it's way out of date" dafuq bro ?

Samsung Gear VR Review - IGN

It only works with certain Samsung phones.
It uses the motion and attitude sensors in the phone.
It's a stupid idea to get you to buy their brand of phone to be able to use their headset.
What a rip!!!

I'd much rather use my FPV goggles and use the head tracking feature. I could possibly jury rig a connection through a Arduino mini board and make it platform independent. And since the head tracker is wireless that would eliminate being tied to a cable.

It only works with certain Samsung phones.
It uses the motion and attitude sensors in the phone.
It's a stupid idea to get you to buy their brand of phone to be able to use their headset.
What a rip!!!

I'd much rather use my FPV goggles and use the head tracking feature. I could possibly jury rig a connection through a Arduino mini board and make it platform independent. And since the head tracker is wireless that would eliminate being tied to a cable.

See, again, people with no idea what they are talking about. No offence, but clearly true.

Several things:

There is a very tight integration between the Samsung phones and GearVR. This is why it doesn't just work with all phones like Cardboard. Significant work at a hardware level and also at a deep software/OS level has gone into the supported phones to ensure sub 20ms latency, and perfectly tuned thermal throttling. Cardboard does not get anywhere near this.

The screen in the Samsung phones is also enabled for low persistence. Again, this is a hardware feature, and very important. VR sucks without it. Samsung, Oculus and ARM put in a lot of work to enable a good VR experience. They're not just being greedy *******s and restricting it to top end Samsung phones for no reason.

Your FPV goggles are not comparable at all. They are much lower FOV and much higher latency, and there are no ultra low drift calibrated accelerometers and gyroscopes (and no, it doesn't use the ones in the phone).

Last edited:
You assume a lot about me.
So it has to know what direction the headset is moving in and how far it's traveled. Also it has to know what angle the headset is tilted at. As in are you looking up or down. So unless it has the sensors built in to the headset, it has to rely on the ones in the phone.
It doesn't matter how integrated the phone is to the headset, it still comes down to simple sensors either in the headset or the phone.

Also I saw some pictures of the phone sitting off the headset with a peek of what's inside. The headset appears to not have any screens but instead a series of lenses looking at the screen on the phone. If that's the case then the screen splits the images and shows them at slightly different angles to render a 3D effect. That system relies on the human eye and the human brain to compile the image. The rest is simply some fancy programming and electronics.

It a cheat. The whole gismo is actually just a bracket to hold the phone in the right place so your brain thinks it's looking at a wide screen in 3D. The lenses are just to keep one eye from seeing the wrong image.

You assume a lot about me.
So it has to know what direction the headset is moving in and how far it's traveled. Also it has to know what angle the headset is tilted at. As in are you looking up or down. So unless it has the sensors built in to the headset, it has to rely on the ones in the phone.
It doesn't matter how integrated the phone is to the headset, it still comes down to simple sensors either in the headset or the phone.

Also I saw some pictures of the phone sitting off the headset with a peek of what's inside. The headset appears to not have any screens but instead a series of lenses looking at the screen on the phone. If that's the case then the screen splits the images and shows them at slightly different angles to render a 3D effect. That system relies on the human eye and the human brain to compile the image. The rest is simply some fancy programming and electronics.

It a cheat. The whole gismo is actually just a bracket to hold the phone in the right place so your brain thinks it's looking at a wide screen in 3D. The lenses are just to keep one eye from seeing the wrong image.

The heck are you on about... The screen is split in two in software. If you take the phone out of GEARVR while using gearvr apps, you will see its split down the middle. Rendering two separate images with different viewports. Your eyes amalgamate the images into one 3D view. This is how 3D works IRL. The tech is significantly better then your FPV goggles. Get over it.. like pretty much everyone, they completely write off VR until they've tried a good HMD. You will eat your words once you try a PC based consumer VR headset in the next several years.

What res are your fpv goggles?
Fov?
Latency?
Ppd?
Low persistence?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom