Potentially the longest thread in history...

what wikipedia says about single vs dual link DVI:

(Single Link) 3.96 Gbit/s
(Dual Link) 7.92 Gbit/s

With a single DVI link, the largest resolution possible at 60 Hz is 2.75 megapixels (including blanking interval). For practical purposes, this allows a maximum screen resolution at 60 Hz of 1915 x 1436 pixels (standard 4:3 ratio), 1854 x 1483 pixels (5:4 ratio) or 2098 x 1311 (widescreen 8:5 ratio). The DVI connector therefore has provision for a second link, containing another set of red, green, and blue twisted pairs. When more bandwidth is required than is possible with a single link, the second link is enabled, and alternate pixels may be transmitted on each, allowing resolutions up to 4 megapixels at 60 Hz. The DVI specification mandates a fixed single link maximum pixel clock frequency of 165 MHz, where all display modes that require less than this must use single link mode, and all those that require more must switch to dual link mode. When both links are in use, the pixel rate on each may exceed 165 MHz. The second link can also be used when more than 24 bits per pixel is required, in which case it carries the least significant bits. The data pairs carry binary data at ten times the pixel clock reference frequency, for a maximum data rate of 1.65 Gbit/s x 3 data pairs for a single DVI link.

so........i guess i wont benefit much or at all if i had a dual-link DVI instead of a single-link DVI for my monitor then, in which i game mostly?

what wikipedia says about single vs dual link DVI:

so........i guess i wont benefit much or at all if i had a dual-link DVI instead of a single-link DVI for my monitor then, in which i game mostly?

Dual link dvi is for large monitors, like 30 inchers, they have no purpose 24" res and lower.

Back
Top Bottom