Potentially the longest thread in history...

Seems like a lot of tech hardware is ****ty at the moment.

1) Nvidia 20xx series is just lol pricing.

2) Surface Book 6 is meh, with Windows 10 still not supporting touch very well.

3) New MacBook Air is pretty lame, basically just a thinner MBP from 2 years ago.

4) iPhone XS is meh. Oh look a new super fast CPU/GPU that feels the same as the the iPhone X in 98% of day to day usage. Apple's SoC's are amazing, I just see very little evidence of why I actually need anything faster in a smartphone right now. Maybe when 8K 60FPS video rolls around or something, idk.

5) New iPad Pro's are fairly cool in terms of hardware, but that pricing is TOP KEK. Also iOS 12 is still gimped for a supposedly 'Pro' tablet. No external storage support, no proper file browser, Safari still won't download big files ? wut wut wut ?

6) Oculus saying 'nah mate' to Rift 2 and releasing some meh upgrade in form of Rift S instead

6) Valve's new VR headset looked great 'til I discovered it was using an LTPS LCD and not OLED. Fail.

9) Magic Leap sucks, HoloLens sucks

Idk what I am supposed to be impressed by or looking forward too these days. No company gives a **** these days, it's just maximize every single dollar to the nth degree so they can pump their stock price, Apple and Nvidia being the biggest culprits of them all.

/rant

The only genuinely impressive things going on these days to me are self driving cars and Tesla's climb to the top and knack of getting things right (apart from their self driving car execution, ironically), even if Elon is a prick.

Wireless tech has been pretty interesting the past few years, which is part of the reason it's been my focus. There's been some pretty revolutionary advancements the past 2-3 years that we're only just starting to see the benefit of.

Plus, cryptography and security have always been an interesting, ever-developing topic. Sure, you can boil it down to "another day, another vuln", but when it comes to application of security it's really quite interesting.

In terms of hardware... as everything gets more and more abstracted toward the cloud and it matters less and less what hardware you have under the hood, it's just an unfortunate consequence that there's less impressive things going on. We're still quite a few years out from actually achieving the next evolutionary leap in computing from a hardware/design/materials perspective, and we're at the point now where every advance is a just a small improvement on current tech.

Last edited:
We can only go so far to atom sized transistors, But there is still String Tech out there and also Quantum pc's that do exist today but not very efficient or usable except at universities and govt sponsored places we do not hear about.
Eventually that will work it's way down to the common peeps. There's something on the horizon but they ain't saying

A small 20-qubit quantum computer exists and is available for experiments via the IBM Quantum Experience project. D-Wave Systems has been developing their own version of a quantum computer that uses annealing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing

Last edited:
Something must be happening with the LM repo servers. My connection speeds have dropped to dial up speeds and at one point had dropped to bits per second.

I checked threw speedtest.net and confirmed with my isp they were not throttling my line.

:confused:

Wireless tech has been pretty interesting the past few years, which is part of the reason it's been my focus. There's been some pretty revolutionary advancements the past 2-3 years that we're only just starting to see the benefit of.

Plus, cryptography and security have always been an interesting, ever-developing topic. Sure, you can boil it down to "another day, another vuln", but when it comes to application of security it's really quite interesting.

In terms of hardware... as everything gets more and more abstracted toward the cloud and it matters less and less what hardware you have under the hood, it's just an unfortunate consequence that there's less impressive things going on. We're still quite a few years out from actually achieving the next evolutionary leap in computing from a hardware/design/materials perspective, and we're at the point now where every advance is a just a small improvement on current tech.

I can't really get interested in security and networking. Just doesn't do anything for me. I can appreciate the importance and such, but I just don't feel compelled to learn anything about it. My interest extends as far as wanting to know whether something is secure or not at a superficial level, e.g. is this webpage https and is this password any good ? :p As for hardware, again so long as I get good speed that's all I care about. My BT Router gives me my gigabit ethernet and reliable WiFi for my small house, and it very very rarely goes wrong either. So i'm happy. I don't feel any need to spend money on better networking equipment at home for what I do.

edit:

Also I realised, there is one thing I am not lazy at in my life. I am lazy with pretty much everything in the world, except one thing. Typing. I can type for England. No matter what time, day, or mood I am in, I will happily respond to a one line question on reddit with two sides worth of A4 if that's what it takes to explain myself. I think being on PC's for 10+ hours a day 365 days a year for the past 15 years has made me more efficient at typing than speaking IRL.

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of tech hardware is ****ty at the moment.

1) Nvidia 20xx series is just lol pricing.

2) Surface Book 6 is meh, with Windows 10 still not supporting touch very well.

3) New MacBook Air is pretty lame, basically just a thinner MBP from 2 years ago.

4) iPhone XS is meh. Oh look a new super fast CPU/GPU that feels the same as the the iPhone X in 98% of day to day usage. Apple's SoC's are amazing, I just see very little evidence of why I actually need anything faster in a smartphone right now. Maybe when 8K 60FPS video rolls around or something, idk.

5) New iPad Pro's are fairly cool in terms of hardware, but that pricing is TOP KEK. Also iOS 12 is still gimped for a supposedly 'Pro' tablet. No external storage support, no proper file browser, Safari still won't download big files ? wut wut wut ?

6) Oculus saying 'nah mate' to Rift 2 and releasing some meh upgrade in form of Rift S instead

6) Valve's new VR headset looked great 'til I discovered it was using an LTPS LCD and not OLED. Fail.

9) Magic Leap sucks, HoloLens sucks

Idk what I am supposed to be impressed by or looking forward too these days. No company gives a **** these days, it's just maximize every single dollar to the nth degree so they can pump their stock price, Apple and Nvidia being the biggest culprits of them all.

/rant

The only genuinely impressive things going on these days to me are self driving cars and Tesla's climb to the top and knack of getting things right (apart from their self driving car execution, ironically), even if Elon is a prick.
2000 series is lol pricing AND performance. The gains over 1080ti/Titan Xp are lol worthy after 2 years of waiting.

iPhone XS, can't agree but I came from an iPhone 7. It's night and day and I really really like this phone. My ONLY gripe is the fact that Apple auto correct is still total ****.

I'm interested in wireless tech to a certain extent. Like the advancements going on are cool and all but I don't really care unless I can use it every day. Since my phone is really the only wireless device I use and I keep them for a few years I can't really get excited about it. Like I see AD, 5G, and things like that 10Gb Ubiquiti AP and I'm like doesn't really interest me since I can't use it at home. I'd only want the 10Gb AP for epeen and nothing more.

As far as advancement, I don't agree in the least. Our current stagnant market on the PC side of things comes more and more from lack of serious competition from AMD for years. What AMD is doing with Ryzen and EPYC are pretty good examples that there is still more to come but unfortunately we won't see any such big leaps in improvement on the RTG side of things. In terms of mobile devices I have a strong opinion that we're starting to see lack of good software vs the great hardware we already have. Phones are reaching that area that PCs ran into about 10 years ago. No offense to our TF devs here, but I think developer laziness has been a HUGE problem with leap frogging tech in all areas in regards to properly utilizing ALL of the hardware we have at our disposal.

We can only go so far to atom sized transistors, But there is still String Tech out there and also Quantum pc's that do exist today but not very efficient or usable except at universities and govt sponsored places we do not hear about.
Eventually that will work it's way down to the common peeps. There's something on the horizon but they ain't saying
I've heard that for 15 years now. I remember seeing people saying "well they can't keep bumping cores, GHz, and vertex/pipelines" but now we have 64 core processors around, 5GHz CPUs stock, and Nvidia released the 8800 shattering all of that. Coming after all the "Moore's Law" naysayers.

I can't really get interested in security and networking. Just doesn't do anything for me. I can appreciate the importance and such, but I just don't feel compelled to learn anything about it. My interest extends as far as wanting to know whether something is secure or not at a superficial level, e.g. is this webpage https and is this password any good ? :p As for hardware, again so long as I get good speed that's all I care about. My BT Router gives me my gigabit ethernet and reliable WiFi for my small house, and it very very rarely goes wrong either. So i'm happy. I don't feel any need to spend money on better networking equipment at home for what I do.

edit:

Also I realised, there is one thing I am not lazy at in my life. I am lazy with pretty much everything in the world, except one thing. Typing. I can type for England. No matter what time, day, or mood I am in, I will happily respond to a one line question on reddit with two sides worth of A4 if that's what it takes to explain myself. I think being on PC's for 10+ hours a day 365 days a year for the past 15 years has made me more efficient at typing than speaking IRL.
I have AIM to thank for my typing skills.

2000 series is lol pricing AND performance. The gains over 1080ti/Titan Xp are lol worthy after 2 years of waiting.

iPhone XS, can't agree but I came from an iPhone 7. It's night and day and I really really like this phone. My ONLY gripe is the fact that Apple auto correct is still total ****.

The XS is a great phone and better than my X, no doubt. Just don't know what i'd gain going from the A11 chip to the A12. Everything on my X launches very fast anyway, so I don't see how that improves. To me it is basically the same as desktop CPU's now. Can basically tell no difference between a 3 year old i7 and a 2018 i7 for general desktop use. The difference is only clear when you launch up an intensive application, but I just don't do that on my phone. I never play mobile games, don't do any video editing or anything like that. I guess I only care about phone performance upgrades now when they offer new features, like higher res video recording. I'd care much more if I had an iPad, as I would be far more likely to play games and do photo/video editing on an iPad and than an iPhone. But yeah I guess coming from an iPhone 7 the difference would be way more obvious.

We had this discussion before but I just hate all autocorrect, mainly bc I can never get used to it. I spend more time correcting autocorrect than just fixing the error myself. So really i've no idea how good or bad Apple autocorrect is because I never use it :p I'm not a particularly fast typist on phones though, pretty average really.

BTW if you didn't know, 3D touch press on the keyboard to move the cursor around between letters and words. It's slick and a lot of people don't know about it.

Last edited:
The XS is a great phone and better than my X, no doubt. Just don't know what i'd gain going from the A11 chip to the A12. Everything on my X launches very fast anyway, so I don't see how that improves. To me it is basically the same as desktop CPU's now. Can basically tell no difference between a 3 year old i7 and a 2018 i7 for general desktop use. The difference is only clear when you launch up an intensive application, but I just don't do that on my phone. I never play mobile games, don't do any video editing or anything like that. I guess I only care about phone performance upgrades now when they offer new features, like higher res video recording. I'd care much more if I had an iPad, as I would be far more likely to play games and do photo/video editing on an iPad and than an iPhone. But yeah I guess coming from an iPhone 7 the difference would be way more obvious.

We had this discussion before but I just hate all autocorrect, mainly bc I can never get used to it. I spend more time correcting autocorrect than just fixing the error myself. So really i've no idea how good or bad Apple autocorrect is because I never use it :p I'm not a particularly fast typist on phones though, pretty average really.

BTW if you didn't know, 3D touch press on the keyboard to move the cursor around between letters and words. It's slick and a lot of people don't know about it.
I've tried doing this and it doesn't work for me. Idk if I'm pressing too hard or not hard enough, but then again when I'm typing seriously on my phone I use a bluetooth keyboard as it is.

Back
Top Bottom