Potentially the longest thread in history...

I think it looks like some of the re-sellers have been falsely advertising one of their monitors as HDR. I went on the Eizo website, and the CG318 4K 31" display with 350cdm2 brightness is not listed as HDR, only the Prominence CG3145 4K 31" is listed as HDR on their website and meets HDR10 spec with 1000cdm2 brightness.

http://eizocolour.com/site/assets/files/1057/0884_eizo_product_cg318_4k_03.pdf

http://eizocolour.com/site/assets/files/1145/cg3145_product_sheet_web_feb_2018_aw.pdf

I still want one that is 120HZ+ though. I don't feel like I could go back below 30". I am used to the 40" monitor I have now, but figure I would be okay with a 30". However 27" or less would probably annoy me.
The monitor in question would be the recently announced one.

ColorEdge CG319X Hardware Calibration LCD Monitor | EIZO

A professional 4096 x 2160 monitor equipped with HLG and the PQ gamma curve for editing HDR video content
This insinuates conforming to Rec. 2100 by mentioning HLG and PQ. Also marketing everywhere, even a whole section on it and PR calls it an HDR monitor.

The ColorEdge CG319X is equipped with HLG (hybrid log-gamma) and the PQ (perceptual quantization) curve for displaying and editing HDR (high dynamic range) video content. The optimized gamma curves render images to appear more true to how the human eye perceives the real world compared to SDR (standard dynamic range). This ensures professional creators can reliably display HDR content for editing and color grading.

Preset modes for DCI-P3, Rec. 709, and Rec. 2020 ensure you can work in the appropriate color spaces and gamma values. In addition, preset modes for PQ (DCI and Rec. 2100) and HLG (Rec. 2100) are available for viewing HDR content.

This is also of particular interest.
The ColorEdge CG319X includes a PQ and HLG Clipping function that shows the areas of an image which display at brightness levels higher than the current setting. The areas which cannot be displayed at the correct brightness with the current settings are shown in yellow or magenta. PQ and HLG Clipping can be viewed for brightness levels of 300, 500, 1000, and 4000 cd/m2.
So are they saying it can't show 300 or higher? Or are they referring to a setting in editing software, in which it really shouldn't matter?

Idk I could tear that page up.

Edit: And before you say they don't specifically mention HDR10, specifically putting Rec. 2100 with HLG implies HDR10 by default.

Last edited:
They're using a word salad in the description to be deliberately misleading.

The more you look at it the more deceptive they are being. You are right, they show that they offer presets for both HLG and PQ versions of Rec 2100 but they do not get anywhere near the > 1000cdm2 peak luminance requirement of the Rec 2100.

They need to be more clear, that is for sure. I think if you look purely at the spec list it's technically okay. No mention of any actual HDR specifications, no lies about the brightness, no mention of supporting full Rec2100... just a Rec2100 preset which I guess is the same as every TV/Monitor that has an sRGB preset despite the vast majority of them not being able to even display >95% of sRGB. I think legally they would win in the court due to technicalities which they probably keep on the right side of (such as not actually saying they fully comply and are certified with the Rec2100 or HDR10 spec), but in reality it is highly deceptive, more so when reading the product information page. Kind of disappointing as I always had a lot of respect for them for making epic monitors, but now they seem scum-baggy like other companies.

In further bad news, I am reading on Anandtech that these new 4k 144hz HDR monitors from Acer/Asus are actually not 10bit, but 8bit + FRC, and can actually only meet the HDR spec up to 98hz. Sigh.

Last edited:
Kind of disappointing as I always had a lot of respect for them for making epic monitors, but now they seem scum-baggy like other companies.
That's kinda where I was going with the whole thing. I never had a need for their monitors but whenever the talk of "professional" came to mind, they were the go to. I'm sure it's still an incredible monitor but at the same time I guess the performance is not just speaking for itself.

In further bad news, I am reading on Anandtech that these new 4k 144hz HDR monitors from Acer/Asus are actually not 10bit, but 8bit + FRC, and can actually only meet the HDR spec up to 98hz. Sigh.
Really now. That would explain why they took their spec sheet down on the Asus page because I could have SWORE it said 10bit. Now I wonder what the reason for this is.

Edit: I'm only seeing one reference to this in the comment section of the pricing article. Care to sauce me?

Last edited:
Never guess what just happened.

Booked an emergency appointment with the dentist two hours ago and needed about an hour of emergency treatment.

Drilling away at my teeth with out any anaesthetic or injection. Drilling, fillings, then more drilling and god knows what else.

Just had about two and a half hundred quids worth of treatment with out any pain relief.

Me teeth are dancing man.

...why? Does remind me I need to book a dentist appointment tho, been a while since I've been for a clean :p ours is free though luckily

Smoked a pork shoulder on the weber yesterday for ~10 hours, had to leave with 3 hours to go and the coals got too cold towards the end though so it didn't cook as well as I'd wanted :/ ah well. Definitely cracked the crackling secrets though :D perfect every time now

Tonight I'll be hitting up Ippudo Ramen with some friends, just opened here and can't wait! Anyone else a ramen fan? I always thought it was basically 2 minute noodles so didn't try any till last year, but boy was I wrong :p

That's kinda where I was going with the whole thing. I never had a need for their monitors but whenever the talk of "professional" came to mind, they were the go to. I'm sure it's still an incredible monitor but at the same time I guess the performance is not just speaking for itself.

Really now. That would explain why they took their spec sheet down on the Asus page because I could have SWORE it said 10bit. Now I wonder what the reason for this is.

Edit: I'm only seeing one reference to this in the comment section of the pricing article. Care to sauce me?

The pages around here people are discussing it. Apparently confirmed by an Asus employee, and some testing by users.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99007-Pg27uq/page7&

Holy balls, thanks buddy you just saved me a **** ton of money. He also confirmed this panel has been on the market 18 F*CKING MONTHS so they delayed for nothing? Seems everybody in that thread is already telling them it's a flop. GG.

Holy balls, thanks buddy you just saved me a **** ton of money. He also confirmed this panel has been on the market 18 F*CKING MONTHS so they delayed for nothing? Seems everybody in that thread is already telling them it's a flop. GG.

Ya is bs. Monitor panel manufacturers are dragging their feet imho. I legitimately think in 5 years you will get a better Windows desktop and gaming experience through a VR headset than a monitor. Because the small display industry for smartphones and VR is advancing way quicker and better than monitors. Easy to see the Rift after next being 120hz + OLED panels well in excess of 4K and that kind of thing. So long as you don't mind sitting at your PC wearing an HMD I guess..

Back
Top Bottom