Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Today I have confirmed an interview for a systems administrator / analyst position with NASA on Monday.

It's a step up from my current positions title. :tongue: Just the next logical step in my career.

Plus, it's NASA! :tongue:

It's a step up from my current positions title. :tongue: Just the next logical step in my career.

Plus, it's NASA! :tongue:

NASA is cool, but it means working for the government, which (afaik) means set salaries based on grades, good job security, but not really any opportunity to change anything or make major bank. You get to the top position in IT support which is whatever grade it is, and you'll still be on that grade and same pay for the rest of your life. Ignoring changes for inflation etc.

Depends what your goals are though I guess. My primary concern is a) making a lot of money and b) running the best IT department possible.

I don't do either of them things at the moment. But there are clear and obvious ways I can work my way up where I work. It's not a flashy job, and it's not a well known company, so my CV is distinctly average. But I feel like in 20 years time there is really nothing stopping anyone at the company I work for becoming a senior director, provided you work hard and do a good job.

Last edited:

It does mean set salaries most of the time, but it also meas awesome benefits. Both my parents work for the government and our insurance coverage is amazing. Free eye care, free glasses / lenses (twice a year), ER stays / etc are cheap as crap (as in, we never pay for them), dental is free, braces are cheap if ever needed...

Plus, work life balance. Work life balance is pretty lopsided here :tongue:

It does mean set salaries most of the time, but it also meas awesome benefits. Both my parents work for the government and our insurance coverage is amazing. Free eye care, free glasses / lenses (twice a year), ER stays / etc are cheap as crap (as in, we never pay for them), dental is free, braces are cheap if ever needed...

Plus, work life balance. Work life balance is pretty lopsided here :tongue:

Fair enough. As for all the benefits.. sounds like the UK in general ;)

My work life balance is great. I work 8am til 4pm. And most the day at work I just spend pissing around with colleagues and watching stuff on YouTube while doing helpdesk and project work :p

Today I went white water rafting in ayung river in Bali - I'm on my honeymoon still but thought id check in :cool: Bali is real cool place to visit!! Were going to gili islands tomorrow to stay, then back to ubud.

I'll be back home in the UK posting in just over a week now. Hope I ain't missed much ?? :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom