Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Today I decided to take tomorrow off, I think I'll try a SuperPi run on the 980x and see how she goes. I'm still **** afraid of raising the voltage to 1.4 :neutral::crazy:

Today I decided to take tomorrow off, I think I'll try a SuperPi run on the 980x and see how she goes. I'm still **** afraid of raising the voltage to 1.4 :neutral::crazy:

Afraid of 1.4v??? WTF
Your mobo didn't come with a Windows-based Overclocking Utility?
For a SuperPi run you can just boost the volts up for less than a minute, make your run, capture a screenshot, reset your speed and volts, open paint and save your screenshot. 1.4 volts is for sissies, man up and bump it to 1.6v :D

Today I got up at 9:15, went to the OSU RPAC (yeah its the nation's largest rec center), ran over 4 miles, then went on the recombinant bike for 40 min (there were puddles of sweat off the sides under where by arms were gripping the handle-bars. I don't mess around). No strength training today. That is MWF. Came back to the dorm and showered. Went to an engineering review session at 1:00 for two hours. Then, I went and spent one of my meal swipes on popcorn chicken, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, and pasta marinara at one of the on campus eating locations to absorb more calories than I have already burned off. I walked back to my dorm in the rain (took 10 min).

Now I'm posting on these forums and after I'm gonna play some Metro 2033 and get to work on physics homework.

Afraid of 1.4v??? WTF
Your mobo didn't come with a Windows-based Overclocking Utility?
For a SuperPi run you can just boost the volts up for less than a minute, make your run, capture a screenshot, reset your speed and volts, open paint and save your screenshot. 1.4 volts is for sissies, man up and bump it to 1.6v :D

Are you KIDDING?!!! All the 980x OC reviews I've read seem to point to a .2v increase (e.g. 1.4v) as being the cuplrit for killing/crippling their chips (with air cooling anyway). With water yeah, 1.5v seemed okish. but still...I'M SCARED **** IT! :p

I have abandoned my attempt to get the Q6600 up and running for now. Something is wrong but I couldn't figure out what. The mobo lacking a speaker is one thing that makes it hard to diagnose. I never could get a display to show so I don't know if it ever went into BIOS or not. Everything was running fan-wise, and I heard the optical spin up... not sure about the hard drives.

Anyway, 24 hours without my rig was enough for now. I tossed my old setup back in. I will try to get the quad to running outside the case before I try to swap my hardware again.

Considering that the board sat in my closet for a few months with no CMOS battery in it I am pretty certain the BIOS was reset. :D

I did swap around RAM, and I tried it without RAM. I would still power up without the RAM.

I was joking about the 1.6v :D

But I wouldn't be scared of 1.4v, I might get concerned approaching 1.5v

Back
Top Bottom