please vote on this one

Should we get the Reputation system back?

• YES

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • NO

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters
Thought I would chime in. I am new to this site. But I am not new to another site exactly like this one (vBulletin). Its for copier/printer techs. It has the rep system in place. The members are always complaining about it. Members that have alot of power can hit you with negative hits any time they want. It can and does become a problem with personalities.
Yep, that's always a problem with the rep system, it was a weighted system.

It was weighted based on reputation and time joined. you gained rep-power by A being here a long time, B, getting rep points for posts.
you lost rep power as you posted.

As it was a point system it meant that one user may only post funny things, they may have joined five years ago, and then they have loads of rep power. their one click of the scales could light up several green circles, likewise, their dislike could take away a lot of points.

Worse, because as said above you got rep for length of service, you actually found users that had signed up, posted once, and they would have more rep than a new member who'd only posted once.

If it compartmentialized like you suggest to just the help sections I guess it be ok. But in the past it was everywhere. Kids were repping each other just for junk posted in the lobby. It turned in to a pissing contest.
We've come a long ways with out it. Why mess up a good thing...

The rep spoke nothing of technical abilities since most rep was handed out for posts that made people smile in the social lounge. rather than for technical helping posts.

I think that both of us have been saying right from the very start that the rep system would be better if it was only awarded for technical sections.

But... to be honest I never liked the rep system.
personally I don't want to see it back.

Rep system is for people who have inflated ego of themselves, just my opinion on it.

Rep system is for people who have inflated ego of themselves, just my opinion on it.

And the problem with this is . . . . . . . .

OK taking things out of proportion a little bit BUT if you won a medal for serving in the arm would you wear it with pride?
If you won a gold at the Olympics would it "inflate" your ego a little bit?

Those are of course at the drastic end of the scale BUT the principle is very much the same.

And the problem with this is . . . . . . . .

OK taking things out of proportion a little bit BUT if you won a medal for serving in the arm would you wear it with pride?
If you won a gold at the Olympics would it "inflate" your ego a little bit?

Those are of course at the drastic end of the scale BUT the principle is very much the same.

Further to my opinion "instills class distinction"

If you here to get medals or awards good luck to you, I'm here for learning, helping & friendship nothing else.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom