please vote on this one

Should we get the Reputation system back?

• YES

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • NO

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters

BikerEcho

Fully Optimized
HI there geeks.
i am very disappointed in the removal of the Reputation system on this forum.
now we only have a title that doesn't matter, the number of posts and when you joined.

beside that i also favor the REP+ button over the Thanks button.

when I see a good post i want to be able to hit that rep+ button to show that i think it was a good and well thought out post.
i don't necessarily want saying thanks for the post, because it might not have anything to do with me, so i have no reason to say thanks.

when i get a thanks by someone they usually also reply back on the thread to say thanks. so that thanks button is kinda useless.
also i get by FAR less thanks then i got rep+ back then. people are not really using that thanks button.

So by going back to the rep system, we get a more usable way to tell another member that he made a good post, and it's a better ranking system then a useless title that changes according to how meany posts you have made.
remember, 5 good posts are more usable then 10 posts with little to no value.
it's also nicer to get a rep+ you can use rather than a thanks you can't really use, because he already thanked you on the thread.

Do you agree?

Last edited:
Rep got out of control and that's why they quit using it. Besides it's a crap system for telling who knows what they're talking about. You let your posts speak for themselves.

Agreed seti. The members know who is posting quality stuff. There's no need for a popularity contest.

Hmmmm I have to say I was very disappointed when the REP system was removed.

I wore my 5 (I think) green dots as a badge of honour.
It helped me feel like I was a valued member.

Of course we are all grown ups here (well most of us, not in a patronising way) but sometimes it's nice to be let know that you have helped someone and Echo is right the Thanks button isn't used nearly as much as the REP was as I think people value it less.

Not intentionally but I know that I haven't thanked anyone on here for a while and I think that's because i'm not particularly fussed about getting thanks so I don't feel the need to thank? If that makes any sense? I liked getting a + REP so I used to give out + REP more.

On the flip side, we do have a thanks system we could all just make a little more effort to use it?
The REP system sometimes did turn into a popularity contest with people getting REP for posting something funny in the social lounge?

I would personally love to see the REP system back, but with improvements.

yeah, i like to know that i am being appreciated. after all, i am using my free time in here trying to help people.
if i write a detailed post that take more then just a minute to write and no one relate to it in their own post, i feel ignored.
i know people are reading it, but it just sucks if no one answers or relate to it. then i think to myself if my post even mattered to anyone.
if someone then hits that rep button, i know that it was not a waste of time.

some people might see it a little bit like competition, but so do some with the number of posts.
i like to give reputation aswell as receiving it. so to me there are no competition.

but i understand you guys opinion.
in case that we unfortunately don't get an improved version of reputation back, i'll hope that we can get some kind of "like" system instead.

It would be cool to see a 'like' system, but I still don't feel like it needs to be shown under our avatars 'how many times we were liked'.

Another button beside the 'quote/multiquote/thanks' buttons that says like and a simple number that shows how many ppl liked it. A pm then sent to the user everytime their post is liked.

Any form of visible award system can lead to a hierarchical structure within a forum to the point of categorization of members, this is the case on some forums ... sadly.

Any form of visible award system can lead to a hierarchical structure within a forum to the point of categorization of members, this is the case on some forums ... sadly.

I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing?

Is it wrong to know who are potentially ( I appreciate it won't always be accurate ) but potentially the most helpful, useful members?

It also gives members who don't have so much REP something to aspire to, alright some won't care but others might want 6 bars of REP so might actually work harder to post better answers?

I have to agree with wildcat. It didn't work before. What makes you think it will work now?

I never paid any attention to the rep system and wouldn't have even noticed that it was removed if I hadn't seen this poll.

Back
Top Bottom