Physics Processing Chip

I don't think it will decrease FPS at all, but infact increase them, because the PPU chip processes sme of the graphics, thus lowering the load on the GPU so it can process faster which in turn gives you a higher rate of frames per second. Although that's just a theory anyways. But I don't see how it could lower your FPS in a game.

TreeHugger said:
oh please its nintendo they'll put a mario sticker where the ppu was goign to go and same they have a ppu.

When do the ppu come out, im thinking of getting one, once i do i bit more research.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Nintendo has one of the most advanced R&D departments in the world. Did you know the Gamecube has a type of RAM developed by Nintendo that is faster than any other RAM?

Everybody thought that the Gamecube was the weakest console this gen, because it said so on paper. But it blew the ps2 away in terms of graphics (RE4). This is because Nintendo always makes well balanced machines, unlike sony and microsoft. The ps2 and xbox had so many bottlenecks it's unbelievable. On paper xbox should blow the gamecube away, but the difference is barely noticeable.

CELL? Dual cores? Developers are already saying that developing games for the 360 and ps3 are very difficult, and costs are unbelieveable. The Revolution promises to be developer friendly and cheap, which will allow devs to get the most out of it from the go, even if it is (and it will be) the weakest 'on paper'.

Did you know even the NES had online capabilities? That's how advanced Nintendo is.

And, it is rumoured Nintendo has developed a new technique (they even hold patents to it) called displacement mapping, which will be able to create a model of 500 polygons, look better than a model of 1000000 using conventional methods (AKA 360 and ps3).

So, actually, I wouldn't be surprised if nintendo did put a PPU in there, if it would be cheap to do.

Sorry I went of topic there but I hate people bashing Nintendo because they appear 'kiddy'. It was because of them videogames exist now, because they saved the industry form the 80's 'video industry crash'.

It was Atari's fault.

Yes the NEs was the first system I believe to have online capabilites, A friend of mine had the adapter for it so you could play online. Was pretty cool. :)

But the PPU chip will be amazing to link together with a physics intensive program or game. Such as possibly Half-Life 3, if their even goign tomake it, or maybe a F.E.A.R II or something. Because the PPU chip is amazing because of the graphics it displays. :)

Lac3y said:
Nintendo has one of the most advanced R&D departments in the world. Did you know the Gamecube has a type of RAM developed by Nintendo that is faster than any other RAM?

The GameCube uses 24mb of MoSys 1T-SRAM that runs at 325mhz and the ATI "Flipper" GPU has 16mb of DRAM. It's okay...the Xbox is more powerful, but the GameCube is more efficient. Oh by the way, The GameCube's RAM is nothing special anymore. The PS3 uses 256mb of XDR DRAM that runs at 3.2ghz and 256mb of GDDR3 RAM that runs at 700mhz. Both are way faster than any type of RAM in the market (GDDR3 RAM is FAST, very fast...but XDR is way faster).

Lac3y said:
CELL? Dual cores? Developers are already saying that developing games for the 360 and ps3 are very difficult, and costs are unbelieveable. The Revolution promises to be developer friendly and cheap, which will allow devs to get the most out of it from the go, even if it is (and it will be) the weakest 'on paper'.

I agree and disagree with you there. It's actually the Cell and the PS3 that are very difficult to develop with. The Xbox 360 and Microsoft's XNA development software is VERY, VERY easy to work with. Because the Xbox 360 doesn't have as many special cores as the PS3 does, developers can allocate things faster and quicker.

So far, Nintendo hasn't licsensed the PhysX SDK from Ageia yet, so we don't know.

Back
Top Bottom