Phantom pain. Metal gear forum

I wouldn't worry with it too much. Between constantly getting new guys with higher stats as you play, increasing troop capacity on mother base, and guys dying out in the field you'll rarely be at capacity.

That is a good point as I am nowhere near capacity right now. I'll have to check IGN or something later because I know there are specific guys that have skills that nobody else has. They enable you to develop things you normally would not be able to.

That is a good point as I am nowhere near capacity right now. I'll have to check IGN or something later because I know there are specific guys that have skills that nobody else has. They enable you to develop things you normally would not be able to.
I find the game auto sorts for you pretty well. Most of the guys that are s ranked are never in any real danger of being phased out. Even guys you get if you are out of space are just moved to the waiting room.

A good tip: You can dump all your guys into one category like r&d to raise your level enough to build something then auto sorts them back to where they were before. Once you start the research process on the equipment it doesn't matter if you drop back down a few levels.

I find the game auto sorts for you pretty well. Most of the guys that are s ranked are never in any real danger of being phased out. Even guys you get if you are out of space are just moved to the waiting room.

A good tip: You can dump all your guys into one category like r&d to raise your level enough to build something then auto sorts them back to where they were before. Once you start the research process on the equipment it doesn't matter if you drop back down a few levels.

Yeah I noticed that as well. It took some messing around, but now I am pretty comfortable with that part of the game. Still not sure how the combat stats or security team stuff works, but I am assuming that will be explained.

Yeah the game spreads out the different mechanics so you aren't so overwhelmed. It really is amazing how much is in there. It always has you thinking about recruitment and resources as you're doing your missions. Mother base really does become your baby. You have to start worrying about staff morale and making sure it's got the staff to handle injuries.

Now I'm wanting to play this again.

Last edited:
Has anyone really beat this game. I heard somewhere it's a chore to have the final missions pop. I think I quit at mission 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone really beat this game. I heard somewhere it's a chore to have the final missions pop. I think I quit at mission 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I finished it. I think I had to do maybe 4 side ops before the last mission opened after completing all the unique main missions. It wasn't all that hard. There's a lot of inaccurate info on the internet as to what triggers certain events.

There's also a way to "fix" one of the consequences of finishing the game now.

If you are still early in the game then don't stress too much about building up mother base. I don't want to say too much because eventually you will reach a point that will make managing your base very tedious if you have a large capacity of soldiers. You will have to review them and assign them each individually, for specific reasons that I won't get into due to spoilers. I had over 300 at the time and it took me well over an hour of micro managing every single one of them, not a lot of fun.

Another reason not to stress is because aquiring higher skilled soldiers is very similar to the way that raising your light in Destiny in was when TTK released. Basically, most soldiers that you encounter in the beginning will have E or D grades for their skills. As your overall average grade of soldiers increases, so will the grades of the random soldiers that you encounter.

In other words, the more D level solders that you find will cause the game to slowly start presenting you with C's in the field. Grab enough of them and you'll start finding B's. So on and so forth. Doing special side missions in which you are tasked with extracting prisoners or highly skilled soldiers will help boost you up much faster as their grades tend to be higher than the average soldier you would be encountering at any given time.

If you are still early in the game then don't stress too much about building up mother base. I don't want to say too much because eventually you will reach a point that will make managing your base very tedious if you have a large capacity of soldiers. You will have to review them and assign them each individually, for specific reasons that I won't get into due to spoilers. I had over 300 at the time and it took me well over an hour of micro managing every single one of them, not a lot of fun.

Another reason not to stress is because aquiring higher skilled soldiers is very similar to the way that raising your light in Destiny in was when TTK released. Basically, most soldiers that you encounter in the beginning will have E or D grades for their skills. As your overall average grade of soldiers increases, so will the grades of the random soldiers that you encounter.

In other words, the more D level solders that you find will cause the game to slowly start presenting you with C's in the field. Grab enough of them and you'll start finding B's. So on and so forth. Doing special side missions in which you are tasked with extracting prisoners or highly skilled soldiers will help boost you up much faster as their grades tend to be higher than the average soldier you would be encountering at any given time.

Thanks, Edge! Yeah I have just been grabbing guys and trying to fill out my platforms. I am at the point now where I am not expanding at all because I need to fill more of the platforms up. I have actually been trying to do side ops to extract the highly skilled soldiers and as a result am starting to see some B ranks out there.

Last night I managed to find Quiet. I wasn't even looking for her. That was a pretty cool sequence. I must have tried to figure out the mission where you have to destroy the 2 tanks and capture/kill a commander that was in a truck between them like 10 times. My RPG just does not do enough damage to them. I wound up planting C4 on the road they were coming down to take one out and then had to follow the other one to a village where I C4'ed the other while it was stationary. The prone crawling to get to it was really hairy though. That was fun.

So I have made it through the first 14 main missions and a ton of side ops. Man this game is sort of a chore to play. I am not sure that I am going to finish it :/ I really like the world and how the game controls for the most part. I also really like the Mother Base management. It is just to the point where the main missions while really cool sometimes, are sort of tedious. I also think that the travel between areas is annoying. That could go much faster. FFS I took the helicopter from one platform in Mother Base to another and instead of just flying straight to it, the idiot pilot was meandering all over the place. No kidding it was probably 90 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom