Pc Gamers.. simple questions about multiple monitors. Why use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightingBird

In Runtime
Title says it all.

Recently I've been thinking of hooking up my gaming laptop to a docking station and buying a 40inch monitor or even a 23inch 3d monitor. Doing some research, I came across videos on youtube regarding curved monitors and multiple screens. I have been amazed. They looked really cool. Anyway, so I'm wondering. Besides it looking cool, why would a person play on three screens when they can just look at one? Wouldn't it be annoying to actually look to the left or right compared to just looking at one screen? Just wanted to get some opinions about this in case I'm missing out on something.

I currently use only one 21.5" monitor but I have put a another 15" one beside it once or twice. For gamers I think it would probably to get the feeling that you are actually in the game (kinda like getting an immersive enviroment thing). Also I have heard people say it is good for editing video/audio because you can have more stuff stretched out in front of you. When I set up mine I had some temp monitoring programs on it while I was playing a game and for watching a video while moving/organizing some files. I did it mostly for fun and to see how good it would work.

I know one thing some people say is that if you use 2 monitors for gaming then in FPS games the aim point/crosshairs are right where the screens meet and that can pose a bit of a problem. Having an inch gap there (unless you removed the bezels) would be annoying and hard to use in my opinion. That's probably why some people go with 3 screens:
View attachment 5012

Here is a good article about the AMD Eyefinity system (it's where I got that picture above): Eyefinity to the sixth degree - The Tech Report - Page 1

Attachments

• badcompany2-landscape3-620.jpg
    badcompany2-landscape3-620.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 80
I have my game up on one screen and everything else (clock, CPU/RAM meter, TeamSpeak, whatever) up on the other one.

I have the same setup that Trotter has. One for gaming and the other I use for keeping an eye on temps, speeds, teamspeak and chat windows.

The plus to using three in a eyefinity or surround set up is an increased field of view. This of course is if the game will support the resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom