Osx

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcelroy

Baseband Member
so, OSX is the most recent OS that the Mac has?

and it can be compared to XP right?

kinda like I've heard OS9 can be compared to 98...

But what are the main differences in the Operating Systems?
(OSX and XP)

I know they look different... and the toolbar is on the top... but uhh... are there any really major differences.

Also, isn't OSX just a version of Unix?

That is possibly the most lengthy discussion that could ever be seen on this forum I would check out g5orbust's link

main differences
-OSX = mac, XP = PC
-Completely different Filesystems
-Different hardware support

I'd never heard of that site. It seeems quite well done. I've just joined the forums there, actually.

rmcelroy said:
so, OSX is the most recent OS that the Mac has?

One note. Keep in mind that there are different versions of OS X. The original was released about the time of ME and in a way was a failure the same way. It was buggy, slow, and somewhat ahead of its time (the hardware to support it did not exist). Quickly after, a "service pack" style free upgrade to 10.1 was released. These were codenamed "Aqua". Around the time of XP, OS X was finally a proper OS...with the release of Jaguar (10.2). The current one is now Panther (10.3) which has plenty of nice features in addition to much needed speed optimizations. By the time I own a Mac, I'm hoping there will be a 64 bit version for the G5. Now that will be SPEED. :cool:

Also, isn't OSX just a version of Unix?

That's a lot like saying Windows is just a version of DOS. And being based on UNIX is a good thing. Trust me on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom