Open Networks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I've just been playing about with the wireless on me laptop, and me nabour has got a Full Wireless Unencrypted network here in the local estate..

How Dangerus..

Always keep in mind that just because a network appears open doesn't mean the owner is an idiot...

There's more honeypots out there than you'd think and it could just be an attempt to intercept login details etc or even an attack vector in itself. Best case scenario is you connecting to it exposes any data you don't encrypt via HTTPS or other schemes to the world.

@Nitestick,, Learnt something new their.. Thanks for that.. Run an Ethernet Cable me self direct from the Router but didnt know/realize that..

@Nitestick,, Learnt something new their.. Thanks for that.. Run an Ethernet Cable me self direct from the Router but didnt know/realize that..

As a proof of concept, because I've never taken part in malicious activities I used to sit around open wifi hotspots every now and then to see just how much data could be sniffed out such as login details because people aren't security conscious. Heck, back in the day Gmail had a flaw by which you could sniff login details easily if someone connected over an open network. I think it was that they'd encrypted the actual submission of login details but neglected to encrypt the download of the cookie for saved logins so it could be intercepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom