Not really sure where to ask for help on this...

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Ok, this subject could be posted in one area, but my not be suitable for that area due to certain reasons...

We have a Straight Talk home phone system, it uses the Verizon cellphone network. For anyone NOT familiar with these units, they are essentially in the most basic terms, a cellphone that connects your house phone to a wireless carrier, you can use your home phone like normal, but it's a whole LOT cheaper.

Here is the issue... I live in an area where the only carrier is mostly AT&T... Verizon here has a few towers, but they are spread apart, and thin. I honestly think the one we are connecting to is in Lexington, as I am very close to LEX in a straight line compared to the town I do live in.

Now, we do get a low to medium signal according to the lights on the unit, but that signal sometimes drops out. I have determined we may not need a signal booster, but possibly a higher gain antenna that can be attached to the house outside, at the top.

Here is where I run into issues... I don't know the type of cable, nor the connections/adapters needed to get an antenna ran from the unit, to the outside of the house and on the roof... I will need a VERY high quality cable as this will be a ~30-50 foot cable run. I shouldn't need to use RG11, but RG6 should suffice.

So, does anyone have any good ideas on what parts I am needing such as the antenna, cable, and any adapters? From what I can tell, this phone base just uses a regular detachable antenna like a router would.

Any help would be appreciated, and if possible, anything from Amazon would be the best.

In all honesty, after looking, this looks to be suitable, but I am unsure http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-Dual-Band-Connector/dp/B0018PS4O0/ref=pd_cp_cps_0

Only issue, the cable is rather flimsy looking, and rather short for my needs it seems.

Last edited:
Back when I worked at an electronics shop, we'd sell Wilson antenna's all the time. They're geared more toward cars (due to the strong magnet in the base); but I guess it would work. Only issue I'd see is the (like you already saw) the cable isn't very thick. You could try adapting over to a thicker antenna cable, and then back down to the connector your need...but you may get some loss due to the adapters.

See, that's the problem, I don't even know what adapters and such I would need. I have looked at Wilson kits, but they are all amped, and incredibly expensive... I really just need a slightly larger antenna that can mount on the roof, as we have a fireplace, and at the peak it has a solid metal cap over the entire chimney, so mounting isn't an issue.

I used to adapt those things all the time to different cables for customers... but that was about 5 years or so ago, so I honestly can't remember. I didn't always know off hand, either...I ended up just grabbing several adapters off the shelf and trying one at a time until I got to the correct end. Don't suppose you have any places local that you could try out different adapters, do you?

Sadly, no, Radioshack MAYBE, but they are a two hour drive, and I don't have a way to take the base with me to try out adapters to various different cable types.

Frequency range, I have NO idea, I just know it's on the Verizon network. The connector looks like a standard one like a Wifi router or Wireless card would use, I will have to back to you on that as the phone is in use almost all day.

Ok, just figured out it is using a TNC connection. Base is TNC Female, antenna is TNC male.

Here comes the tricky part, while I can find a cheap outdoors antenna with a regular TNC Male connection, I can't find ANY coax cables with REGULAR TNC Male/Female ends... Everything is TNC Male to RP-TNC Female and so on... Not just regular TNC at both ends...

This is starting to become a headache. Anyone wanna help me find some regular old coax that has regular TNC connections on it? Starting to become a headache because the more I search, the less I find.

Last edited:
Could always try making your own cable; i remember finding TNC ends a long while back when I was thinking about making a bi-quad antenna from an old satellite dish.

Thought about that, till I saw a crimp costing more than I can afford, also looked at adapters, but can't find RP-TNC to TNC adapters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom