Noob questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
Planning on getting a simple site up and running. Basically some random content such as reviews and various articles attached to a forum. I had a simple html based site about five years ago but im looking into using something like phpBB, phpNuke, PostNuke, or joomla. I've looked at some tutorials online and it doesn't seem too difficult but i'm wondering whether i'm gonna need any extensive knowledge into php or sql coding myself or do these content managers take care of most the coding themselves? i have some training in HTML and C but thats about it.

Also, for this kind of set up which of the content managers are best suited for my needs? Being that i'd like a forum attached to a site with articles and such.

Also, i'm currently planning on using the cheapest godaddy hosting service that is like ~5usd a month. Are there any other services that are better suited or cheaper for my purposes? Also, what are the differences/benefits from a linux or windows based server?

Generally, to install a CMS or forum, you should at least know how to create databases, users, and give them privileges. This is easiest with a control panel. Most applications will come with an installer, where you point your browser to install.php, it asks a few questions, and it sets everything up for you. That way, you don't even need to edit anything manually to get it running. But you will have to create a database and user.

Most major CMS's have forum bridges/plugins available (but usually separate from the main package). Drupal and Joomla are two that I would suggest you look into.

Windows servers are usually for those that use ASP or ASP.net. If don't plan on building a site based on that, you should probably stick with Linux.

For $5/mo, I would rather go with a host with less disk space and less bandwidth, but a more popular control panel (like cPanel or Plesk), and one that has very good up-time and fast ticket response time. GoDaddy uses a proprietary control panel. That means if you ever want to transfer your site to another host, it will be a pain. Most hosts will assist you in transferring only if the control panels match. So I would first go shopping for a control panel that you like the most (I recommend cPanel). Then as your site gets larger and you need a larger hosting plan (or eventually, a VPS or dedicated server), you can search hosts with matching control panels, and your move will be a lot easier.

No matter what host you go with, make sure you read their fine print. Know what you get. Know how much of your disk space you are allowed to use up with certain files. Know what restrictions they place on your service. Many hosts will offer massive amounts of disk space and bandwidth for a cheap price, but their terms of service try to make it difficult for you to use all of what you were promised.

Sure there are discount deals from Godaddy.com or Hostgator.com, they always run them, I think it's Spring deal, that Hostgator.com is offering now, but I suggest you checking Webhostingbuzz.com shared plans, excellent support and lots of resources in the plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom