NinjaGirl Need you!Opensuse linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
That computer definitely will run Ubuntu. I happen to happily be using Ubuntu on a Pentium 3 Coppermine 850MHz laptop, thank you very much. What you need to do is this. Get the ISO from Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu for 32 bit i386 PC's. Burn it to a blank CD-R disc and then put that disc in your CD drive. Turn the PC off and turn it back on. It should give you a menu saying Ubuntu. You can then boot into Ubuntu and try it out. Use GParted to free up a partition (blank space) to install Ubuntu. Then run the Installer to install the system.

I made a video series on Youtube (incomplete, only 2 videos) about Ubuntu...the first is Getting the CD and the second is Installing the OS. See my YouTube page at YouTube - CalcProgrammer1's Channel.

P.S. I've ran Ubuntu on a Celeron 500MHz/256MB RAM/i810 Graphics motherboard...it ran just slightly slow but perfectly usable. Whoever thinks you'll need Xubuntu for an 800MHz is crazy, as Ubuntu, Linux in general is great for lower end hardware. Get your heads out of Microsoft-land and see that older PC's are still quite good.

NinjaGirl said:
how do you put internet on open suse thru a RCA cable modem.
You should be able to just plug an Ethernet (looks like a big phone jack plug) cord from the modem to your laptop, but that's only if your laptop has an Ethernet port. If it does not have an Ethernet port, you need to buy either a wired or wireless PCMCIA network card. My laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port so I bought an Ethernet PCMCIA card and also a Wireless G PCMCIA card. The problem is that you usually need the Internet to install wireless cards, so I recommend getting a wired card. Check to make sure your laptop has an Ethernet port first, because if it does have an Ethernet port, you don't need to buy a card.

If it does, then plugging the modem in should give your laptop an Internet connection where you can download stuff.

Its just that gnome will run slowly on less than 1ghz and XFCE is pretty much as good and a little faster.

Generally any machine that CANT run ubuntu probably shouldn't be running XFCE either. XFCE is not that lightweight. Its for machines where gnome is a little slow.

If you have an ancient PC, Fluxbuntu will FLYYYYYY.

Gnome runs excellently on my 850 laptop. For 500MHz or so machines, GNOME can be a bit slow, but still usable. My friend said GNOME ran well even on his 450MHz, but for that, I think XFCE or KDE would be better.

It also depends on what you mean by Ancient PC. I couldn't get Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu, or any other Ubuntu to run on my Pentium 133MHz or 200MHz MMX systems, yet they run DSL OK. My friend used Xubuntu on a 233MHz P2 and it ran, though lagged a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom