New Computer Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not mdf at all. It's something called sandeply. And yeah, I've gone the stain route before and I wasn't a big fan of it, tbh. This time around I want something more colorful. Something that pops. I had an idea to paint it like an old school longboard. Thick stripes down the sides, thinner stripes down the middle, something like that anyway. Dunno.

I most probably going to be painting it this weekend, so we'll see how things turn out.

i need a new desk too, all of my money goes in to my pc :)

if it were me painting it i would go with something like a glossy black.

Lol google that and you may be in for a change of plans.

I would put a slab of 0.5mm aluminium on top myself if not the beech. the problem with painting is that paint scratches really easily while this may be fine for our cases. A desk is a work surface and on mine atm are lots of things which could potentially scratch a desk that is painted or particularly finely finished. For example we have a priceless antique table downstairs with a french polish finish, I put half a bottle of beer on it for approx 15 mins and ended up with an impression in the polish which cost the insurance company £4000 to replace the table itself is oak which obviously is only scratchable with intent but the actual finish is very delicate.

Yeah, I know, I googled it before. But like I said, I've worked with it before and although it's pretty crappy it worked out well. I also plan on throwing a thick clear coat on the top so as not to ruin any painting that's been done to it or anything.

No to the varnish. Use a few layers of polyurethane instead. Let each layer cure and then buff it up with some fine sandpaper before applying the next one. It will give you a great finish that is more durable than varnish.

While staining it sounds good, you will have to use a "paint" stain instead of regular stain. I would only use a regular stain if all the wood of the desk was the same kind so that it had a uniform color.

That's exactly what I was planning on doing for the clear coat. Oh, and I just called up a friend and if I finish all the prep in time he's gonna come over and paint some graff on the top of it, which will definitely look awesome.

IMO, if you want it to look expensive, walnut vaniere(spelling?) Not even sure if that is the right word, been a LONG time since I done a project, but you are doing a great job, just dont stain it or anything, mostly because of the wood choices, unless you plan using a color stain that wont let the wood grain show up...

Nah, i dont want it to look expensive really. All I'm making sure is that everything is straight and it doesn't look like crap. Confirmed with my buddy and he's gonna do some graffiti on it, or maybe character, he's awesome at that. Got rained out today just as I was about to prime it. Sucks. :(

Well, it rained alot this week. Especially yesterday, so I didn't get to do much. However, today it's all primed and ready for paint. Thankfully aside from the stupid wind blowing dirt all over everything, it was a fairly nice day out.

n605538137_1569706_7576673.jpg

Front view. I used Killz BIN primer, which incidentally smelled alot like some Slivovitz I used to drink. HAHA.

n605538137_1569707_970491.jpg

Side view. I decided not to attach the computer "shelves" so i could move them around if i wanted to and so it's not a pain in the butt to carry.

My buddy is supposedly coming over tomorrow, but we'll see. He has a tendency to sell out alot. I'll post pics after it's painted. :D

edit: Whoa, I just noticed the top looks like a bow in the first picture. haha, I guess it's time for a new camera. >_<

New update...

So the desk is all painted. All i need to do is clear coat it. Anyone got any ideas on what would be the easiest way? Trotter, im lookin your way. Its all just been spraypainted. Here are some pics...

n605538137_1593295_3376240.jpg

n605538137_1593297_2240390.jpg

n605538137_1593298_3363316.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom