Need a new Computer..

frossy

Solid State Member
Hi guys I'm new here!! I know what im doing with computers building wise.
I really need a new computer but i wanna make sure it works. Could someone give me a rough idea of a computer i could use for gaming.
Ive been looking at athlon 3000 or 2800 and would like a good graphics card? Also I really cant decide on a mobo! Ive got my sound card sorted if anyone can offer any help i will be greatfull. cheers

loaf

Baseband Member
well, first you need to decide which brand of motherboard you want. i just bought an ASUS A7N8X-E deluxe. i have yet to piece it together b/c i need to get more parts. i am selling this system whole, so i dont want to swap the mobo twice.... anyway, the 2800 is a good choice. go with it. if you plan on gaming you will need a decent video card!!! what you get will depend on what you are willing to spend. i am getting a 5900xt for $300(canadian). it's the best choice for me right now. it helps to get a kool case too!!

videl2k4

Beta member
ya go with a ASUS A7N8X-E deluxe you can't go wrong with that board, If I were to buy a non 64 bit amd cpu that is that board I would go with, And stick with asus I have now had 4 asus motherboards one of them is over 4 years old and I still have never had a problem with it, that board is about $165 (canadian), you could get the a7n8x-x
it is cheaper about $90 (canadian) but doesen't support as much as the more expensive one, and make sure whatever board you do buy it has the nvidia chipset

frossy

Solid State Member
ive decided to go with the ASUS A7N8X-E deluxe so cheers guys.
now regarding graphics card i would like a 9600 or GForce fx5700 256 agp would this card be a good buy?thanks again

killerdoberman

In Runtime
Good choice on the Mobo..My only other suggestion would be the Neo2.

As for a graphic card...the two you mentioned aren't even same in performance. The 9600 is a better graphic card when it come to games.

I love my ATI 9800Pro card. I upgraded from a 9500Pro and before that a GeForce3. I just perfer the ATI's drivers compared to nVidia's. But now that nVidia started to get there drivers from the same company that ATI uses I really haven't experimented with them since.

I would try to get yourself an old ATI 9700Pro (great card), 9800Pro, 9600XT or if you want a nVidia I would get something like a FX5700 U or better.

The next money spender is the memery and harddrive. Go for performance over volume on both the harddrive and memory.

frossy

Solid State Member
ok so far
ASUS A7N8X-E deluxe
128Mb XFX GeForceFX 5700 Ultra (D-Sub, DVI, TV-Out)

Now memory think I will be ok with 1 512stick or should i up it? thanks so far.