My future in college..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jared17

In Runtime
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be going to college soon, but I saw all these certifications and things and now I'm really confused. I really love doing computer hardware related things. I tried my hand at programming, and it wasn't the greatest experience. I did ok, but definatly not that great.

I guess what I'm asking is what certifications should I get to do hardware related things, and also what would the job title for that be?

Go to a real 4 year school, do not worry about certifications.. If you're interested in hardware, then get a electrical engineering or computer engineering degree.

If you are just interested in the hardware side, your job market will be in PC repair. A+ is about the only cert you would have any use for. You are limiting yourself if this is all you want to do though. Try the networking aspect and look into Net+ and some Cisco certs. More money when you get into that area as well.

Quantum Bit said:
Go to a real 4 year school, do not worry about certifications.. If you're interested in hardware, then get a electrical engineering or computer engineering degree.

I agree with that 110%. Once you have that "Bachelors of Science, Computer Engineering" or "Bachelors of Science, Electrical Engineering" on your resume -- certs will mean next to nothing (assuming you take on an engineering job offer).

Try it, it's pretty neat. I'm currently a Comp Eng student, and the hardware design aspect of it is great. Note, it's not hardware repair, but design. You'll LEARN how to program microprocessors, or design circuits to count from 00-to-99 using 7-segment displays. It's pretty complex when I fist saw it, but it's amazing.

Lawrence Tech (www.ltu.edu) here in Michigan (it's on 10 Mile, if you're familiar with MI) is very recognized for their computer courses. They offer a Masters in Computer and Electrical Engineering in one degree. Being in Ontario, it shouldn't be too far of a drive.

By Jared. I realize it's not like it's a 5 minute jog, but it certainly isn't like moving across North America.

Snake-Eyes said:
Lawrence Tech (www.ltu.edu) here in Michigan (it's on 10 Mile, if you're familiar with MI) is very recognized for their computer courses. They offer a Masters in Computer and Electrical Engineering in one degree. Being in Ontario, it shouldn't be too far of a drive.

Isn't that college fairly expensive though. If you don't have the money for the university go get a associates a community college then get your credits transferred to a university to get your bachelors.

If you do take that route, I would highly suggest getting a 4.0 GPA at whatever CC you choose, and possibly get into a more reputable school for EE/Comp Eng... since you saved a lot of money going to CC the first few years.

Try to take loans out for the last two years - it's worth it to graduate from a reputable school. After graduation, give it one year or so, you'll make that $$ back ASAP, and you'll be on your way of making approx ~50k - ~55k / year starting.

Sorry I haven't responded in a while guys, been busy with work and such. But I think I have found 2 courses which interest me, but I'm not sure if they are what I should be taking or not. Here are the links.

Computer Systems Technology:

http://infotech.fanshawec.ca/cty_info.html

Computer Systems Technician:

http://infotech.fanshawec.ca/ctn_info.html

I have a feeling the first program is the one I should be taking, since it says that with taking it I will be ready to take the different certifications that there are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom