My antivirus program won't start

rilee16

Beta member
I share a computer with the family, and all of a sudden today I started getting popups, message bubbles (I *think* they were legit) saying my firewall wasn't working right, etc. I go to run a virus scan, and I get a bubble saying the .exe file is corrupted and can't run. I try to run malwarebytes, same thing. Basically, any security-type file, won't run. I downloaded avg, malwarebytes, etc. onto a flashdrive from a clean computer and tried to run from the flashdrive, and I get the same message. My virus scanner on my computer ran, but it couldn't remove anything, and there was just virus after trojan being named on it (there were, like, 38 different things on it, argh!).

Would it help to rename the files on the flashdrive to something different before I plug it into my computer? Is there something else I can use to get rid of everything?

At this point I'm actually scared to turn my computer on *at all*, although I have changed my passwords to my online banking and stuff on a clean computer already.

I'm really po'd because last I knew my firewall, antivirus, and anti-malware were up-to-date and functioning correctly, but I haven't actually used the computer in the last month or two, but my mom has almost every day and she has a tendency to randomly click on things, push buttons, and lie about it when she's asked what she's touched.:mad:

You can try running your anti-virus software in Safe Mode; that's usually a go-to move with Malware like this (Malwarebytes has a Chameleon run feature; you could also try that). If that doesn't work I'd recommend using a factory-installed recovery partition (should your computer have one). If it doesn't, all I can really say is boot to a disc, backup all your important files on a flash drive or external HDD, and reinstall the OS. Sometimes you just can't fight the Malware. :(

You can try running your anti-virus software in Safe Mode; that's usually a go-to move with Malware like this (Malwarebytes has a Chameleon run feature; you could also try that). :(

I have no idea how to do that. Do you mean put the computer in Safe Mode, or what? I need small words, as in teenytiny, pretend I'm the dumbest person ever to dumb. My anti virus opened and scanned on its own, but it literally will do *nothing* else.

To run your PC in safe mode just push F8 while system starting...
Otherwise, you can try to use LiveCD (even better than safe-mode).

Hint: Antivirus won't save your PC, never, just from simple, old or not actual malware, that's it.

Better install VMware Workstation or VirtualBox, create new Virtual PC, and show your mom how to run it. If you'll have any problems - just use snapshots function or clone your virtual PC right after installation is complete.

Back
Top Bottom