Media Player Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

[violet]

Beta member
Recently I purchased the Neon Trees album "Habits" and promptly ripped it onto my laptop (which worked fine). Then I ripped it to my desktop PC, using Windows Media Player, and that worked too. Until I started playing it. Something must have been corrupted by the files because now, my media players are screwing up.

Basically, whenever I open Windows Media Player, it hangs, doesn't respond (and I wait for about 15 minutes for it to respond) and then when attempting to close it via task manager, the window goes away, but the process itself is "unclosable" and stays in task manager (even if I kill the process tree, etc.).

VLC also doesn't work, it just opens in processes but it's also impossible to close, the only instance in which I can close it is if I open another VLC and kill it. And Winamp does the same thing as Windows Media Player; hangs and doesn't respond, stays in Task Manager.

I tried using Unlocker to kill the processes but it didn't work. I resetted the PC and uninstalled VLC (and then installed the latest version) but it still just hides in Task Manager, and I still can't close it (or Windows Media Player or Winamp if they are open). The only media player that works is Media Player Classic (which is downright awful).

It's not something to do with the disc, because it works fine on my laptop and I tested it on my brother's PC with no issue. It's not scratched at all, it doesn't have any protection on it, and the files don't look corrupted. I use the K-Lite codec pack but I've been using that for about 9 months now with no issues at all. I haven't installed anything recently. It's not a virus/trojan either, I've run about 3 scans with 3 different programs (although I wasn't expecting a virus from an audio CD). The CD is a legit copy. It works on everything else, just not my computer.

I use Windows XP Service Pack 3. If there's anything else you want to know just ask, although do bear with me because I'm not too savvy when it comes to PC specs. If anyone has had a similar issue or has a solution please reply to this thread. I have searched exhaustively on this and other forums for a similar issue and I have not found one. Thank you in advance!

If you are using Wndows Media Player version later than 10 say 11 or 12, then roll-back (uninstall) to previous version. Upgrades do not always pertian to all operatng systems. Version 11 and later are not designed for Windows XP, more for Vista and Windows 7.

You may also have other media players installed that are interfering with Media player. There is a program called "soundbox" that causes much problems, especially with audio output. I'd suggest uninstalling Winamp then see how it goes.

I personally avoid Windows Media player, I prefer RealPlayer version 10 (for WinXP).

Please give media jukebox a try I've reviewed it on my blog to give users a general feel of the awesome media player:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom