Looking for a consolidated data storage/back-up/access solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
I have a few terabytes worth of data. I'll be moving away from my parent's home so that I can attend college. I'd like to be able to store and backup my files to a central location. I then want to be able to access that data via the internet and also through my phone.

What are my options?

Thanks

NAS or SAN with cloud access

Link 1 | Link 2 | Link 3

build a file server and use Linux Apache Mysql Php or using nginx in place of apache, dev a web front end or find one, and install it to the server, and then register a domain to it and you can use DynDNS with it.

DynDNS will give you an address to access that's constant, unlike most broadband IPs that change every so often.

No matter the OS, your gonna have to still setup a way for your system to be secure, and a web page would make it possible to access the server from just about any other device. You can run MySQL/Apache and such on Windows just fine.

windows home server is fine,. but using any of the image backup features is rough as ****. also can be fitsy with RAID volumes.

Is there a good write-up or wiki I can use to create, build, design, setup, and maintain my own Windows Home Server box? Like an A to Z guide? Thanks.

Check out a HP Proliant Microserver, they're going for quite cheap now. That's the solution myself and a bunch of guys at the office have come to. Throw in 4x2TB drives and you have a low power consumption, high capacity, always on fileserver. If you find yourself running short on space you can always throw in another SATA card and add a 4x2.5" or 6x2.5" bay adapter to the 5.25" slot and add a whole heck of a lot more storage there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom