Linux and Windows multiboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4x3r

AKA ComatoseClown
okay guys..i've had a lil free time in my christmas break..and i've installed linux (knoppix installer) to my 40gb hdd...and i want to multiboot with my existing win2k and xp installations....all the OS's are on different hdds....so how would i go about getting linux into the boot.ini so i can choose either windows xp 2k or linux?....i know it can't be as easy as adding another windows installation!...so any help would be appreciated

btw i don't know a whole lot about linux...but i do know i like it :D

May I ask why you used Knoppix as a harddrive installed distro?

In short, it's not possible to put a line for Linux in boot.ini. There are hack programs out there that let you do it, but all the ones I've tried royally suck.

You're gonna need to load GRUB or LILO, and I have no idea how to do that in Knoppix...

knoppix is the debian distro..just in a bootable CD..that when uncompressed and installed to the hard disk then it's just like a regular install of debian linux

the reason i used knoppix...because i have dialup and can't download anything else...and yes it has a root password

H4x3r said:
the reason i used knoppix...because i have dialup and can't download anything else...
Forgot about that.

and yes it has a root password
OK, my bad, but the last time I used it (4.0), it still didn't...

Anyways, you need to get LILO or GRUB (the latter is better, IMHO). I'm sure there's some way to do it, I just don't know how...

EDIT: Try to apt-cache search grub and see what pops up...

go to ubuntu, it has a free shipping thing.. i believe it still is available :D Knoppix is not really a *true* debian install, go to a debian IRC, and they'll tell you the compatibility hell involved in getting knoppix working..

There should be a guide to what's the steps involved in getting knoppix on to your computer? it has to have a bootloader, or someway of getting it, as any os need a bootloader.. use a linux bootloader, it'll be much easier than using windows bootloader :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom