Keyboard problem

pals08609

Solid State Member
I have windows XP pro installed on a pentium 4 2.8 ghz. the keyboard does not work and I can't get into the bios. but I can get into Windows XP pro, but the keyboard is not in the device manager because I uninstalled it.
I can't even reinstall windows XP because the keyboard does not work! and when it ask me to enter to continue to install my keyboard is still inactive.

airiox

Fully Optimized
Its probably a USB keyboard. and most likely your mobo doesnt support USB keyboards during Startup.

In that case you would need to get a Ps/2 keyboard for 10 bucks or so.

Dynamix

Fully Optimized
Yeh ps2 keyboards are mega cheap, i got mine for £3 which is about $5 or so not bad Eh :D

Mitsu_7G

Solid State Member
yeah, what kinda keyboard are you using? definitely sounds like you have a USB keyboard. PS/2 keyboards are solid

pals08609

Solid State Member
Hi again
My keyboard is a PS/2 and I've got a couple of them, so I can rule out the keyboard being faulty, in the device manager it shows no drivers for a keyboard and in control panel under keyboard under the hardware tag there is no device driver, I am typing this message on another computer with the said keyboard

paul

NiKEUS

In Runtime
hmm
tried plugging in another keyboard?
if that fails then try a USB kb. if that doesnt work i'd reinstall windows again, especially if its off a fast burnt CDR of a copy- if thats the case burn slowly with no other apps running.

pals08609

Solid State Member
I'd thought of using a USB keyboard , but at present I have not found a friend with one yet! I've tried the rest of your suggestions, but every time I go to the device manager the status shows "this device cannot start (code 10) I've search the net only to get a link to microsoft site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;258797. to be quite honest I don't really understand all that there saying because this article does not exactly match what I'm asking?

Paul

CoMpUtaFrEek

Fully Optimized
Check its plugged in properly?

Might be a dodgey socket on your motherboard so trying a USB keyboard may work. :D

pals08609

Solid State Member
Thanks to you all, between all of us I now have a keyboard that is working
once again thank you very much