Keyboard issues when booting into Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

CntdwnToExtn

Fully Optimized
I'm having an issue with a laptop that when I boot to Windows (I've tried XP MCE, XP Home, Vista Home Pre) I get huge intermittent key hits.
Doesn't matter if I'm hitting the keys fast or slow they keyboard will just go dead (all buttons) then in about 10 seconds I can key hits again but just stops again in matter of seconds.
It's not like it needs to catch up either, whatever keys I hit when it's unresponsive they do not registered at all.
I can hit the Fn button once to say activate the touchpad but then it takes about 10 seconds until I can hit it again to deactivate it.

I can plug in a USB keyboard with no problems, type as much as I want.
When the laptop keyboard is "frozen" I can still use the mouse to open folders, launch programs.

However,
I can use the laptops keyboard with no problems when:

1. I'm doing the Windows pre-install (blue screen, hit F8 to agree, what partitions you want, etc) buttons L, D, C and arrow buttons respond all day long.
2. I can boot to DOS or DOS based program (such as my hard drive format program) and use it no problem
3. I can boot to my Fedora 13 Live and type in terminal all I want.

Those have NEVER and DO NOT have a problem with the laptops keyboard.

Only when I boot to Windows (currently Vista Home Pre 32-bit)

It just "magically" started doing this a few days ago on XP MCE . I can't tell if it's hardware related because it works when not in Windows.
I've uninstalled the keyboard drivers, re-installed...but even on a fresh install of Windows it doesn't work.

I don't get it...

Sounds like a corrupted driver. Try reinstalling those drivers.

They maynot be corrupt, but they may not be correct either. Have you tried any other versions of the drivers other than the newest? Have you checked to make sure that the ribbon cable connecting the keyboard to the mobo is secure and not damaged? Being a laptop those cables are small and very thin. It doesnt take much to put a rip in them.

Ugh, sorry for the delay.
Well, I opened up the laptop and the cable looked fine. I closed it up, booted and what do ya know...the feckin' thing works now.
Sometimes I just wonder....

Though the wireless network button doesn't work now. Out of position....bah!!! I hate laptops. Someone reaaaaaaaly needs to make the more modular.

Ha, so here is a great update on my situation.

As I said before the problem was solved however I hadn't fixed it but really just diagnosed it (unknowingly)

When I booted up the machine it worked no problem and I went about my business. I then put the battery back in because I wanted to move it from my desk. Once I got to where I wanted to go I needed to restart. What happens...the keyboard issue is back!

I rebooted another 3 times to the same problem.
So...the only thing I did was put the battery back in. I removed the battery (with the laptop still running, plugged into the wall) and the keyboard started to work instantly.
I rebooted another 2 times and the keyboard worked each time.
I put the battery back in (with the laptop on) and the keyboard worked.
I restarted, the keyboard didn't work!
Pulled the battery (while laptop was still on) and it worked!

Is there some sort of tie between the keyboard and battery on a laptop that I am totally unaware of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom