Just bought a "new" laptop , and tests on the SSD worries me.

coxer

Beta member
Just bought a "new" laptop that has been remanufactured with pieces of recycled PCs. I'm new to this and made some tests on the SSD, thing is i dont know to interpret these results, i contacted the provider and of course he told its okay, but i wanted second opinion.

I'm worried because the write speed is low (nominal speed 1100~MB/s) while Its read speed its so high. I dont know if my fears are unfounded, thank you in advance.
The SSD is a Samsung PM991 MZALQ512HALU.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 5.46.54 PM - copia.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 5.46.54 PM - copia.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 4
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 5.57.18 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 5.57.18 PM.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 4
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 6.58.19 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 6.58.19 PM.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 4
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-03-16 at 10.51.13 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-16 at 10.51.13 PM.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 4
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-03-16 at 10.59.36 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-16 at 10.59.36 PM.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 4
Personally, I don't think your fears are justified in any way, but keep in mind that the speed of writing depends on a lot of things, and the factory specifications are generally as high as possible.
This means that the original drivers are used, the NVMe/SSD is installed exactly as instructed, the optimal speed processor and RAM are used, and so on. But you can't ignore, for example, what antivirus program is being used and how it's set up. Also what is the source and the file to be written, and so on. So you need to look at the average speed of a number of different files, not just one file, and if it's ~ 1000 MB/s for your NVMe, the result is pretty good.
And of course the most important things are the right driver and settings.
In general, it is recommended that you use Samsung's original drivers and follow the settings recommended by Samsung, and not any arbitrary third-party nonsense. And of course, don't confuse that SSD and NVMe are not the same thing.
And of course, don't forget that the BIOS must also be up-to-date and configured to work with the NVMe hard drive. In many cases it is forgotten and the work goes in SATA mode and then the results are of course much more modest.

Personally, I don't think your fears are justified in any way, but keep in mind that the speed of writing depends on a lot of things, and the factory specifications are generally as high as possible.
This means that the original drivers are used, the NVMe/SSD is installed exactly as instructed, the optimal speed processor and RAM are used, and so on. But you can't ignore, for example, what antivirus program is being used and how it's set up. Also what is the source and the file to be written, and so on. So you need to look at the average speed of a number of different files, not just one file, and if it's ~ 1000 MB/s for your NVMe, the result is pretty good.
And of course the most important things are the right driver and settings.
In general, it is recommended that you use Samsung's original drivers and follow the settings recommended by Samsung, and not any arbitrary third-party nonsense. And of course, don't confuse that SSD and NVMe are not the same thing.
And of course, don't forget that the BIOS must also be up-to-date and configured to work with the NVMe hard drive. In many cases it is forgotten and the work goes in SATA mode and then the results are of course much more modest.
this is a good explanation of this. thanks for this.

Back
Top Bottom