Jpeg virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbhakta

Baseband Member
i heard something about a jpeg virus. how exactly does a jpeg work. i never knew that jpegs contained code in them - i thought it was just a picture. can somebody explain all this to me plz?

First you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting hit by one of those, they do exist but are rare, A jpeg file has code in it like any other file, Hackers use a buffer overflow within the code of the file to execute malitious code.

You can also use stragenography (not sure if that's spelled right) there are programs on the web that will sort of link an exe to a jpeg, making the jpeg it's own virus of sorts. Some people use them to infect people's computers with trojens...since most people are more than willing to look at a picture of something or another.

sippin codeine said:
First you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting hit by one of those, they do exist but are rare, A jpeg file has code in it like any other file, Hackers use a buffer overflow within the code of the file to execute malitious code.

Umm-not true.

There is a hole in the MICROSOFT jpg reader. Hackers/coders can disguise a piece of code as a jpg, so that once it is downloaded they can execute mailious code on your machine-such as a trojan etc. Then they can break in using the specified client or using a cmd line (assuming you know the correct port etc)

Or they can just send in code that completely scrwes up ur comp...

Anyways, I think the problem is with the M$ jpg header reader or something to that effect.

I have a very basic knowledge of what I'm talking about, please correct my if I am incorrect.

:D

AL

winblowz said:
Umm-not true.

There is a hole in the MICROSOFT jpg reader. Hackers/coders can disguise a piece of code as a jpg, so that once it is downloaded they can execute mailious code on your machine-such as a trojan etc. Then they can break in using the specified client or using a cmd line (assuming you know the correct port etc)

Or they can just send in code that completely scrwes up ur comp...

Anyways, I think the problem is with the M$ jpg header reader or something to that effect.

I have a very basic knowledge of what I'm talking about, please correct my if I am incorrect.

:D

AL
Your correct, I wrote that before I saw all those .jpg exploits on symantec. seems its not so rare, but still too rare for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom