internet hook up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

compy

Daemon Poster
i'm going to be building my own comp soon and i have a question as of how am i going to get to the internet. my dad's comp(the one i'm on now) has a cable modem and so we have cable. now how am i going to be able to accses the internet in my room? do i have to get cable and a modem to? i would like to be able to use the same service so that i don't have to pay for it. is it possible for two computers to use the same internet?

Yup, it's actually pretty simple to get 2 computers going on the same broadband (cable in your case) connection.

Does your dad's computer go through a router first and then into his computer, or is it directly connected from the modem??

If its directly connected, you're going to need to buy a router. Usually costs between $40 and $100 depending on what features you want it to have. I'd suggest getting one with a 4 port switch built in (that's pretty standard on routers these days).

Then simply plug the modem into the WAN port of the router and plug each computer into one port of the built in switch.

FYI: If you do any sort of file sharing or certain types of gaming there might be a bit of configuration you need to do. Post back if some of your applications don't work correctly.

yeah, i just want them to use the same internet. i can just file share back and forth with a flash memory card, i just want to be able to use the same internet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...06544&productCategoryId=cat01029&type=product

I say go with a router. It's simple to incorporate, and if you have a friend/relative/anyone who brings over a laptop they can plug right into your cable connection as well using the router. You'll have 4 ports so that gives you expandability! Plus the router also acts somewhat as a firewall and gives you some protection against nasty worms like sasser.

ICS works, but that means your father's computer has to route the connection to your system. Therefore if your fathers computer is turned off, you don't have an internet connection. Using a router, it doesn't matter who's computer is on or off.

Linksys is probably the most widely used broadband router used in homes. You won't be disappointed!

now, how does a router work? where do you conect it from? it's not wireless so that means i'm gonna have to run extra cables to my room. is there a place that will tell me everything about routers so i can understand how it works hooks up ect.

compy said:
now, how does a router work?

Hmm, well that's a bit lengthy to really explain what a router is/does. Also keep in mind there are several different types of routers out there with different features, which technically makes them more then just a router.

Basically it acts as a gateway between you and the internet. The internet will see the router and not your PCs on the other side, and your PCs will see the router and not the internet. If your computer has something to say to the Internet or vice versa, the router relays the message.

Your Internet provider gives you one IP address. The address allows you to be seen on the Internet, but with only one computer. The router takes that IP address, and then will accept multiple from computers connected directly to it, and allow those PCs to talk with the internet through the routers single ip address. I could probably do a better job of describing it, but i'm in a bit of a hurry. :)

Originally posted by compy where do you conect it from?

Your cable modem goes directly into the router. Your two computers also plug directly into the router. The router is label to show you which port the cable connection goes into.

Originally posted by compy
it's not wireless so that means i'm gonna have to run extra cables to my room.

Very true, you will need to run cables up to your room. unless you buy a router that has wireless capablities, but at this point it sounds like you might not want to dive into that technology just yet. You'll need three CAT5 cables, one from the modem to the router, and two from the router to your computers. Just buy some 50 - 100 foot CAT5 cables to string up to your room. Might wanna check with your dad before you run the cable though.

Originally posted by compy is there a place that will tell me everything about routers so i can understand how it works hooks up ect.

I'll have to take a look around. Try searching for router in google.

thanks soooo much for that info, it was realy cool of you to explain all of that for me. i understand it now and i will look up on google to and stuff. if i have any more questions then i'll make sure to ask you, you explained that very nicely to me. one thing, they have wireless routers? they work the same way just no cables right? how much more is it for wirless then a regular one. oh yeah, for my comp do i need anything special to run a router or a wireless router? thanks again for the huge help, it realy helped me!

wow, there're so many of them. how do i konw wich one to chose? i think it's better for me to go wirless, does that hinder the cable speed any? also i'm gonna have to get a wirless card to go with the router wich one? does it have to match the same as the router?

compy said:
one thing, they have wireless routers? they work the same way just no cables right? how much more is it for wirless then a regular one. oh yeah, for my comp do i need anything special to run a router or a wireless router? thanks again for the huge help, it realy helped me!

wow, there're so many of them. how do i konw wich one to chose? i think it's better for me to go wirless, does that hinder the cable speed any? also i'm gonna have to get a wirless card to go with the router wich one? does it have to match the same as the router?

There's two main flavors of wireless access out now, 802.11 b & 802.11 g. B has speeds up to 11 Mbps while G has speeds up to 54Mbps or 100+ Mbps. Cable connections around my way are 3Mbps downstream. Therefore, the inet connection doesn't take any kind of performance hit.

At home, i have mixed different manufacture's wireless nics & routers. I did this because of the awesome rebates, but generally you'll want to have the same manufacturer for both.

What is a router Thread

Yeah, what csamuels said!

Here is a Linksys router that would be perfect for your situation:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ductCategoryId=pcmcat25300050001&type=product

And here is the type wireless network card you'll need for your computer:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ductCategoryId=pcmcat25300050002&type=product

The router will support both 802.11b and 802.11g both. So that makes it easier to find a compatible wireless card. Also if someone brings over a laptop that has a wireless card, it's most likely it will use 802.11b or 802.11g. The router also has 4 hard wired ports. So you can connect your fathers computer directly to the router while you are connected wirelessly.

The only thing is, if you don't setup the wireless security features build into the router, anyone who comes close to your house with a computer that has a wireless card can tap into your internet connection. Windows XP makes it almost too easy to find and connect with any available wireless networks. The Linksys router has decent documentation on how to make your wireless connection secure though.

I keep posting links from Best Buy because they have a good description of these network components, and I'm sure you a store near you. If you search around the internet and your local computer stores you'll probably find a better price for these components. Though it my take you a bit of time to find them, plus in some cases you might have to pay for shipping and handling. So it might be worth the extra cost to just be able to go pick them up quick. It's all up to you, but I'd probably stick with Linksys brand just because they make it simple to setup, and they are quality components!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom