Intel Will Design PlayStation 4 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
had the regular xbox from launch..never broke, still works. Had xbox 360 since launch...no issues-EVER-. Sold to friend...he never had any issues..and like a week ago he traded it to another guy..who hasn't had any issues.

I personally think if a console dies on someone they are either : A- really unlucky or B-they wrap it in shrink wrap till it over heats then complain.

By that statement you are saying that possibly 90% of the people that own a 360 or classic xbox are idiots. IMO some people can't afford air conditioning there house to 68F and keeping there house dust free.

Or there could have just been a faulty design. I'm pretty that it is the most obvious and simple choice; also, Microsoft more or less confirmed it so I'm not entirely sure why there is any discussion over this.

The reason doesn't matter, I'm just saying he is right, the early 360's dropped like rocks left and right. That's old news. Things have changed since then of course, but I would be wary of owning a rev A 360. You know what they say, never buy rev A anything.

Alright back on topic ladies ;).

I really don't know about the PS using Larabee as it's graphics processor. That's a bit of an overkill for a console. I would imagine that Intel will a design a lower end GPU say around the equivalent of the 295. Considering it will be at the bare minimum a year before this console is released I would say it's a good judgement. Consoles don't need anywhere near the power of a modern PC. Most of us already know this.

But consider the advantages of a ray trace capable card. You could have graphics that are a full 2 generations detail wise ahead of the other consoles. Sony is playing the Crysis strategy. Make the most amazing looking thing possible. And if they do it right and the developers code for it right then they can blow the other guys away.

Understandable but consider this. I'm in game development so I know how current engines work. The current coding methods used even in OpenGL 3.0, the most powerful API in use today, won't be able to develop a game that utilizes Larabee to its fullest on a console. Probably even on a PC. The hardware is just too powerful for what we can create right now.

Larrabee is x86, so if the API doesn't support it, you can do it yourself in the most well known and documented instruction set in the world. And OpenGL is a raster based API. Ray tracing is what they use in CG for commercials and movies. The cool thing is Larrabee can do both.

That's pretty absurd considering most of the original xbox360's broke. You're implying that you find it more reasonable that most of the owners of the xbox or xbox360 abused it rather than you got lucky and received one that didn't break?

All of my friends xbox (both type) never broke. One of them would scratch the disc if you kicked it while playing..but that was it.

Yea, I know a lot of the 360's had issues...but I think that's all over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom