Intel Stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
So right now I have 50 shares with Intel. They've been declining now constantly since mid August. Today the shares dropped $1 down to about $16.30.

So my question. Intel and AMD don't have any other significant competitors? I'm betting that investing now is smart as the stocks should eventually make their way back up. I can't imagine Intel stocks going way low as they're a pretty strong company. What do you think? They're at their lowest point in a really long time...

file.png
I think that mentality is exactly what's going to lose you money.

People, generally speaking, will buy when a stock is gone up (when it's priced high) expecting it to do well, and sell when it's gone down (when it's priced low), and wonder why they lose money. Only about 5% of people who trade are really making money.
See, when you look at stock charts, what you are looking at is not what they're doing. What you're looking at is what the stocks have done.

The trick to making money isn't necessarily knowing when the stock will move or in what direction.
You can perhaps be right more often than not if you have the right tools, but you will lose trades.
If you want to make money, you need strategies to make sure you don't lose much money when you do lose, and to try and maximise profits when you do win.

I think it's much easier to do that with options than with shares though. Or sometimes with a combination of shares and options (such as the collar strategy)
The best traders will plan their exits before they even enter a trade, so they know how much they can make or lose.
Then, they'll only enter the trade if their potential profits is significantly larger than their potential loss.

People who do that can make money even if they are wrong about the direction more than they are right about it.
The better ones will be right more often than not, but everybody loses trades sometimes. Every trade has the potential to lose you money, even if you think the stock is doing well (or badly, if you are making a bearish trade)

You just need to try and minimise your losses.

Yeah, go with gold, the value of gold doesn't really change. So it would retain its value, even if the US dollar has not. Which is also probably the reason you see ads on tv advertising to sell your gold for USD. Which in the long run will screw you over, because the value of the dollar is based upon how much Gold is in the treasury, while the value of gold is independent of the US dollar.

Yeah, go with gold, the value of gold doesn't really change.
Now why would you invest in something which doesn't really change in value, with the intention of making money?

I mean, there are strategies of trading options which you can make money from the stock not moving. but they don't involve actually buying the stocks themselves.

There are options trading strategies which you can make money if the stock goes up, or if it goes down, or if it goes sideways, or if it just does something (up or down)

Not a bad point to increase your position on Intel stock.

They're #1 in the business, they have great products, they have lots of cash on hand, and they have some good products on the road map.

the biggest question you should ask yourself is how much risk can I handle? If you're young (below 30) you have lots of time to ride out the storms in the market. It's been said over and over: The stock market returns more $ than any other long-term investment.

I do the daytrading thing. I bought 2000 shares of Wachovia on Thursday at $4.20 and sold them on Friday for $6.96/share. $2.76 profit per share X 2000 = $5520!! My usual take is about $300 and I try to trade 10 times/ month (5 buys, 5 sells). That nets me $1500/mo. Enough to make my mortgage payment even after 33% short term capital gains tax.... :D

Yeah, go with gold, the value of gold doesn't really change. So it would retain its value, even if the US dollar has not. Which is also probably the reason you see ads on tv advertising to sell your gold for USD. Which in the long run will screw you over, because the value of the dollar is based upon how much Gold is in the treasury, while the value of gold is independent of the US dollar.

the value of gold, in the states, is defined by the dollar. so to say the dollar has lost value but gold stays the same, makes no sense.

In my opinion, you would be better off investing intelligently now. The 700 billion recovery deal hasn't even been cracked into yet. It was only passed like three days ago. The government still needs to set up a system by which credit can be bought before anything will recover.

Gold isnt necessarily an investment. It can be. And it isnt based so much off the American dollar. Sure, if the dollar goes under the world economy goes down, but the value of the gold usually doesnt. Rich people take their money out of their tax-free banks and tax-free whatevers and the stock market and put it into crap like gold because gold has worldwide value. Sure you cant eat it, you cant use it for stuff, but it does retain its value, even through rough times. Ask a rich person, theyll tell you the same. But for us, no gold is a dumb investment. Its really only good if you can afford a lot of it

We need a resource based economy if we're ever going to survive as a species. If free energy was fully harnessed and technology embraced, the monetary system could be completely done away with, making machines the new workforce.

I see someone has been watching ZEITGEIST: ADDENDUM lol good movie, I just don't agree with all of it, specially that it was practically shoving that venus project down my throat. But it does change the way you think about our society.

In my opinion, you would be better off investing intelligently now. The 700 billion recovery deal hasn't even been cracked into yet. It was only passed like three days ago. The government still needs to set up a system by which credit can be bought before anything will recover.

Not if most of the bailout money is being delivered outside of the US. What they (US government) have just done is get rid of debt, by creating more debt which just will not work.
And investing now may seem logical due to the 'value' of good company's who have been affected by this credit crunch, but the fact remains that this is affecting every aspect of the world economy

Trillions of dollars are being wiped off everyday throughout the world.... the question is, how is 700 billion (a drop of water in an ocean) meant to rescue everything and everyone?

Until some positive news starts to grow around the world, and confidence is restored in the market, I will be keeping tight control of where my money is going.

I see someone has been watching ZEITGEIST: ADDENDUM lol good movie, I just don't agree with all of it, specially that it was practically shoving that venus project down my throat. But it does change the way you think about our society.

heeeeeeere fishy fishy fishy.... I was waiting to see if someone picked up on that!

Lol. Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot. I liked how they basically say "this isn't how things have to be. We're just a species. Nothing about society is written in stone, they're all just institutions". The Venus project reminds me of Kamino from Star Wars lol. I always liked the inspirational stuff from those films though. A thousand years from now, society will be so radically different.

EDIT: The whole thing still requires some incentive to motivate the smaller workforce that would be required. And plus, people desires would have to be tempered because people will always want more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom