Intel is jumping on the bandwagon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do too. Unless the numbers match up, as in AMD's line
3200=3.2 GHz
but if its 300's, 500's and 700's, then maby
732=3.2 GHz P4

But, thats the thing. AMDs names DON'T match the actual rate. Just a performance equalivalent. AMD's 3200+ only runs at 2.2 GHz....not 3.2GHz

mikesgroovin said:
Intel just announced that they are going to drop the speed of it's processors off of the actual processor name. So soon, P4s will be the "500 Series", Celerons will be the "300 Series" and P4 Extremes will be the "700 Series". Looks like they liked how the name of the processor totally explains the performance and not just the speed! Hmmm.....think someone has done that before......oh yea! AMD was all over that years ago! LOL.
I suppose it's a good thing though....

The article is here

-Mike
A very un expected move as intel knows they getover 15% of there sales because of people thinking the higher the clock speed the better the chip.

modemide said:
lol .. at least with amd, you know the equivelant speed,
ie 3000+ ~= 3 GHZ

this has the potential for getting confusing :(
Nope. My 2400 AMD XP runs at 1.99 Ghz. It's a 1.99 Ghz chip that is supposed to "act" like a 2.4 Ghz chip, and it does a terrible job at it.

AMD has for years been picking up marketshare. They do not have the money like Intel, But they have been at the cutting edge of future technology in the past 5 or so years and are building chips for the future. I had an intel years ago, didnt care much for it and then I tried an AMD and have never looked. I have a 1900 XP and it runs like a dream.

Intel is changing its numbering system strictly because of AMDs sucess.

Jerry

it has to be that... because if uve noticed.. everyone is tellin people that want to know what a good CPU is for their new PC.. and what do they tell em.. AMD Athlon 64's.. they hit the 64 bit CPU b4 Intel!! and they prolly think now AMD is gonna start catchin up with this 64bit CPU, because every gamer and semi gamer either already has an AMD 64 or is tryin to upgrade to it..so now Intel is gonna try n change their #s around and then try n come out with a 64 bit CPU after that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom