Innovation Idea

AlanR917

Beta member
Hello everyone. This may be the wrong place to post this, but it's the most relevant forum I could find. My name is Alan, and I am senior at Wausau Engineering and Global Leadership Academy (EGL) in Wausau, WI. My school is STEM based, and focusses on project based learning, technology, and engineering. As a senior, we are required to create an invention or innovation on something that we are interested in.

As I have a strong interest in computers, electronics, and law enforcement, I chose a project that combines all 3 of these. My idea is an innovation to the Taser XREP.

A little background, the Taser XREP was a Taser device that can be shot out of a 12 gauge shotgun. More details can be found here: Taser XREP Up Close (and pricing!) - The Firearm Blog

The Taser XREP was discontinued recently because of its high cost. ($160 per round)

My project idea is to make something similar, but smaller and more cost effective. Right now I am in the research phase, and am bouncing some ideas around with officers that I know, but I thought that I could also gain some help from the internet.

I have a few questions about how I can make this work.

1) Voltage. The average stun gun delivers around 50,000 volts without high amperage. What ways can I make a small, portable battery reach 50,000 volts? Any ideas on current batteries, or how I can achieve this?

2) Propulsion. After I create the device, what would be the best way to propel it? I have a few 3D-printable models for an airsoft shotgun, and was thinking something along the lines of gutting an airsoft shotgun shell, and replacing the BBs with my device.

3) How can I put it all together to make something similar to the XREP, but smaller, with cheaper materials. I understand prototypes are expensive to create, but I would like the final product to be semi-cheap.

I have extensive experience with computer programming, and some experience with creating circuit boards, but I would not call myself an expert by any means. If anyone has any ideas that would help me with these questions, it would be very much appreciated.

I am keeping a log of all forum posts and conversations that deal with my project. If you do contribute, please leave your full name so I can give credit where it is due.

I have created a BASIC prototype model in Blender for anyone that wants to view it. Right now the model only has 3 parts, and no electronics. It is just a basic outline of my idea. Feel free to throw some ideas in if you can.

Thank you, and have a great rest of the day!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1z6m0uemrg9g0oy/Taser Bullet.blend

Blender File Color Key:

Blue - Batteries
Red - Probes
Purple - Electronics housing

Since im in school right now I cant open any links, but I'll try to help a little bit. Also this was really fun to read on a tech site haha. First off, if you did make a small, portable stun gun, you wouldent need a battery that is 50,000 volts. In fact you could use a 9 volt battery. This image here shows the best basic principles of a portable stun gun.
stun-gun-standard.gif

Sorry again if that didnt help much, I know more about computers then self defense, but if it helped a little then Im happy. Good luck with your project! (My name is Justin Goetz also)

Back
Top Bottom