Increase Virtual Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zentechnet

Baseband Member
Hi forums,

I was poking around and saw this for my VM.

untitled-5.jpg

Says the recommended is 6141mb but is set to 4094mb. I have 4gb ddr3 1333 ram installed, a vidcard with 1gb vram and XP x64. Would I get better performance with games etc if I upped it to the "recommended" 6141mb? I assume the extra 2gb space would be held by my HD? What exactly is Virtual mem?

Thanks!

That is for the pagefile. You will not get better performance with games by upping your pagefile. The pagefile is always recommended to be 1.5-2X the amount of RAM you have installed. Which is why you see Windows say it is recommended to have 6141MB when you have 4GB of RAM installed. That is roughly 6GB of space that would be used for the pagefile.

Hi forums,

I was poking around and saw this for my VM.

untitled-5.jpg

Says the recommended is 6141mb but is set to 4094mb. I have 4gb ddr3 1333 ram installed, a vidcard with 1gb vram and XP x64. Would I get better performance with games etc if I upped it to the "recommended" 6141mb? I assume the extra 2gb space would be held by my HD? What exactly is Virtual mem?

Thanks!

the virtual memory you're asking, which does the jobs like RAM , but RAM is whole lot faster than HDD's virtual memory , but system always run out of RAM , RAM cant handle too much things on the same time , but its faster. and because ram is way exp than HDD

So when your RAM is not enough , windows will just allocate it to virtual memory (which often allocate those background apps and services).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom