In the market for HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan1121

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, was wondering if you could point me in the right direction as far as buying an HDTV. I play xbox 360 a lot, so this would be the prime use, also if i get an HDTV i would probably get digital cable which would include some HD stuff. One big question i have, is do i need 1080p? i'd love to have it just to be future proof, but how long will it be before i need it? i know the xbox has a 1080p setting, but is that natural, or just up scaling? and will i see a difference? I'd like something around 32 inches, and between 600-900 dollars. What do you guys suggest? also if there's a place that this is better suited in lemme know, i didn't see tv's in any of the other discussions.

If you can wait till black friday you can get a really nice hdtv for cheap

my dad got a 32" hdtv for 400 on black friday last year and it looks amazing

you know that sounds like a pretty good idea, as my birthday is in november as well as a bi-annual bonus at work, so i'll be sitting on some extra cash that time of year. Thanks for the heads up.

Keep away from the "no-make" brands of HDTV because quite frankly, they suck!

Stick with the more common brands such as Panasonic (pricey but fantastic, best on the market featuring the best in sound and picture), Philips, Samsung (great picture, poor sound), Toshiba, LG and even Sony aren't doing too bad now with their latest.

Whats the difference between cheap tvs and the more expensive ones? A lot actually. With the cheap brands, they dont use any picture enhancement technology to make the picture look good, whereas big companies spend a lot of time in developing technologies that really help the way it looks. This includes color levels, contrast (one of the biggest issues between tvs, as cheap brands struggle to get good black and white levels where black actually looks grey - rubbish!), gamma, sharpness and all that stuff.
Panasonic have their V-Real engine, Samsung has DNiE, Philips have Pixel Plus and Perfect Pixel and so on....

If you're looking to spend between $600-900, you can easily get hold of a decent tv, have a look to see what Best Buy have to offer, as you'll find companies like that tend to have the latest ones, then after compare the prices with sites such as Amazon.com to save a bit of money if you were looking to buy off the net.

As for 1080p, yes the 360 can support it but only through VGA and HDMI and only some of the newest games actually support true 1080p, a lot of other games will be 1080i or 720p and so you wont get the true native resolution of the screen but it wont affect the quality of the game youre playing. Obviously if you do get a 1080p tv, you'll not only benefit from 1080p games, but your movies will be upscaled to that resolution too. You will see the difference, people who don't see the difference are not looking properly!

As for the digital cable you're interested in, it might be worth investing in a 1080p. Even though you can still benefit from the HD programming with a standard HD tele, like you said its more futureproof to have a 1080p tv. Im not sure about what sort of HD programming is available in the US as im from the UK, and as far as i know you guys are ahead of us in terms of TV broadcasts. Anyway theres a few ways we can get HD programming, and the most common over here is satellite (Sky) where HD programming can only be at the maximum res of 1080i as the bandwidth needed for 1080p is way too high for satellite to handle. However with the cable services we have it is possible as its through fibre optics. This proves it will become popular and is still worth getting a 1080p tv even if you don't use that resolution the whole time.

So if you will be watching general television with it too, thats another reason to go for a good brand. Go and have a look at some in stores and ask to compare a cheap one with a better one, you will see the difference.

Hope I've helped a bit =)

Feel free to ask any questions, I should be able to answer most of your TV related queries.

Thanks, Athlon

ok thanks for the info, i didn't know some of the newer games had native 1080p i thought all the xbox could do was upscale, and yes i would get an HDMI cable. I know my dad gets HD channels in his room because he has a digital box, i would almost force him to get me one if i got an HD tv, because i wouldn't get any kinda good picture with just the basic cable line.

Thats not true, you can still get a fairly good picture even if it's not HD. Just depends on the TV you get and how you set it up. Most of the time you'll need to play around with the settings to get the best results.

im sure it would be better than my current picture, but i wouldn't really be seeing the full potential of the TV without some kind of HD programming.

i got a REAL easy suggestion for you.

If it is not a Sharp, Samsung or Sony television...

DO NOT BUY IT.

Plasma...... do not buy it....
DLP.......... do not buy it.....

If you are looking for a flat panel go LCD only.
If you are looking for a huge television for the best bang for your buck get a 3LCD or SXRD.

All of the above information was skimmed off the top of my brain from 2 years of selling televisions. I dont feel like going into depth.... But feel free to ask questions and i will fill ya in.

Makes me feel good about the 32" Sharp i bought last year.

Very nice set, i paid $900 after taxes and warranty but it should last me a good 5 years.

Sammy for LCD and Panny for Plasma i personally think.

I don't know if you have OLED in america yet ? maybe worth the wait for that.

It's not allways true that cheep no name brand's suck. What you will find is the no name TV's perhaps use older LCD/Plasma panells made my Sony or Samsung, they do not necessarily suck they are just not quite the best. But there also way cheeper, and ignore the sound quality. You can plug in some logitech 2.1 speakers for $50 into the headphone out :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom