How to import and export a database in MySQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
How to import and export a database in MySQL

Lately I have been doing a lot of coverage of MySQL. Of course there are a lot of reasons for that – MySQL is as popular a database as it is flexible and reliable. And so far I've covered MySQL Workbench (see my article “Complete database administration package MySQL Workbench“), MySQL Administrator (see my article “Creating a database with MySQL Administrator“), MySQL Navigator (see my article “Manage you MySQL databases with an easy to use GUI“), or PhpMyAdmin (see my article “Install PhpMyAdmin for easy MySQL administration“). Through my LAMP article, “How to install a LAMP server“, you learned how to install MySQL. This time around I am going to show you how to export a database and then import it into another MySQL server. And finally the ability to connect to a MySQL server from a remote machine was illustrated in my article “Allow remote connections to your MySQL server“.
Why would you do this? One very good reason is for hardware update or replacing dying hardware on your MySQL server. If that hardware is dying, you will need to get your databases off the dying drive and onto a free drive. The most reliable, and easiest, way to do this, is by using built-in MySQL command line tools. That is exactly what we are going to do here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom