How to get started?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ubuntu is definitely a favorite and fairly easy to manage Linux distro.

Just get yourself a CD or DVD, burn the Ubuntu ISO image, then boot to it and install it on a PC (either as a dual boot setup using the same hard drive, on it's own hard drive, or on a clean machine as single boot).

I've heard most people suggest Ubuntu for those who have used Macs and Kubuntu who have used Windows. I've always used Windows but I'm a big fan of Ubuntu myself. Installation is a snap and updating is cake. Customizing themes is really easy as well.

If you do go the Ubuntu route make sure to grab Ubuntu 8.10 and not 9.04 which is still in Alpha, but the finished product will be released at the end of the month.

You should or can run the live CD of Ubuntu to see how you like it without having to install it on your hard drive.

Theirs a slight learning curve to it but their are tons and tons and tons of information online about every distro I've came across, especially big guys like Ubuntu.

I found a website saying that most Linux distros now are about as powerful as Windows with $5000 worth of extra software on it - and faster than windows could ever be.

I know that with the shell/kernel architecture Linux is going to be fast and robust, but the analogy of $5000 worth of software??? What in Hades is Linux capable of "out of the box"?

I know that most things for Linux are Open Source - which is nice. That's one thing I hate about Windows. If you google "Open Source video converter" you'll get the last two, but not the first two. Mac is infinitely better, there is so much Open Source for OSX.

I found a website saying that most Linux distros now are about as powerful as Windows with $5000 worth of extra software on it - and faster than windows could ever be.

I know that with the shell/kernel architecture Linux is going to be fast and robust, but the analogy of $5000 worth of software??? What in Hades is Linux capable of "out of the box"?

I know that most things for Linux are Open Source - which is nice. That's one thing I hate about Windows. If you google "Open Source video converter" you'll get the last two, but not the first two. Mac is infinitely better, there is so much Open Source for OSX.

I would say $5000 is a major overstatement. Yes there is a lot of good open source software for linux but in a lot of cases that same software is also available for windows (gimp, Open Office, Firefox, etc).

i have just recently stared using PC-BSD and have been very impressed.

I would say $5000 is a major overstatement.

That's what I figured - Gimp is good stuff but it really doesn't hold a candle to Photoshop, except that it's free and so are the addons.

Are there any good open source video production things? I know it's lame, but the simple GUI for iMovie and Windows Movie Maker is really all I need...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom