how to fix brhook.dll load error

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebub

Beta member
Hi, after AV detected a Trojan and deleted it I get brhook.dll load error on every start up. I have searched far and wide for a simple fix-it-yourself solution but keep coming across free trial downloads etc. I had this same problem a few years ago but cannot remember how I fixed it.

Any help is much appreciated.

Search for a program called msconfig cleanup. That tool should help you get rid of this error every time you start up.

Thanks Mark, downloaded that but says there are no disabled startup items in MSconfig. Any other suggestions?

Your best option here would be to try using CCLeaner to get rid of the Registry Entry that this DLL is hooked to. Be carefuly not to remove anything that you need though. If that still doesnt work your only option would be to find out what this DLL is hooked to and find it in the Registry and manually delete it.

Thanks again for you other response Mak. I tried CCleaner to no avail and because it bugs me so much I even ended up laying some money on uniblue registry booster which falsely claims to fix all dll problems (including brhook) - that hasn't worked either! I'm not sure how to find what this thing is hooked to as the error message says 'no brhook.dll found'. Do I go into registry, search for brhook anyhow and delete it if I find it?

I do not ever suggest people going into the Registry and making modifications. As removing 1 wrong entry can cause system failure. But if you must, BACKUP FIRST.

Go into the Registry and check under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE and see if you can find something associated with Brother. That is the the Author of the program and the name is Brother Hooker.

I would go to Spyware Asylum first and go through the full scan options to make sure that it cant be removed any other way first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom