How do you recover files after RegCleaner's deleted them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yours Truly

Solid State Member
-Fixed. :3 -

My friend got me RegCleaner, as well as someother programs for my computer -- a Dell Desktop PC, operating on Windows XP Home Edition. I decide to run RegCleaner without the knowledge to whatever it did (I know what it does, but not entirely in detail... that was stupid of me, since it deleted all my registry out of my carelessness) , so now my computer's gone awry.

At first, I didn't notice until I opened my PaintChat page, which requires Java. From then on, I panicked. I have Java installed, and I used my PaintChat just the night before, so I wondered how could it be possible.

I re-install Java, but it did not work -- in fact, it wouldn't open at all. Then, I go to my desktop to open RegCleaner. 'Lo and behold, it would not open.

I tried other stuff, such as the Control Panel option, and it just created another shortcut. I tried opening my Recycle Bin and all it does is multiply itself into shortcuts. Stuff like Zips, Images, and Audios that I have on the Computer Desktop (trust me, sometimes I'm so lazy that I won't save them in their respective folders) would give me a message saying "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

So, I do the smartest thing I could try doing at the time, which was rebooting the computer. Right now, nothing that comes up on my startup came up (messenger, my anti-virus, Z/A, etc.). So, I decided to check if Mozilla and my internet still work -- which do, and I don't know exactly how.

Please do not tell me to download anything, because, although it will download, it will not run, install, open, or do what it's supposed to do.

Er-help?

Note: My friend recommended the program in the first place because I had a virus/spyware problem, and he decided to help.

try putting your windows xp cd in and doing the following:

Go to START-->RUN and type in SFC /SCANNOW

Also are you sure it was the reg program and not the spyware and viruses that messed up your computer?

EDIT: Also try putting the the xp cd and choose the repair option.

Also found this website:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

has lots of reg files to fix extensions not sure if it`ll work mind so use at your own risk.

baronvongogo said:
try putting your windows xp cd in and doing the following:

Go to START-->RUN and type in SFC /SCANNOW

Also are you sure it was the reg program and not the spyware and viruses that messed up your computer?

EDIT: Also try putting the the xp cd and choose the repair option.

Also found this website:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

has lots of reg files to fix extensions not sure if it`ll work mind so use at your own risk.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that it was RegCleaner, since all of this happened after I deleted absolutely everything (god, I feel so stupid now... >>; ). But yeah, I'll try both the CD thing and the link.

Thank you.

Edit: The CD thing didn't work -- the same message pops out. "File association bla bla".

And, um... where do I extract the reg files to?

baronvongogo said:
id extract the reg file one first out of the list once extracted double click it.
Double-clicking doesn't work. "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." will come out when I click on it.

go to :

START-->ALL PROGRAMS-->ACCESSORIES-->SYSTEM TOOLS-->SYSTEM RESTORE

then in the options choose restore to an old restore point then a calender type thing will appear, choose a date to restore your computer back too.

you could try a xp repair but you might lose your net not sure, you`ll have to reinstall the drivers I think but im unsure. Make sure to write this down and read it carefully make sure to pay attention to whats in block capitals.

put your xpcd in and start your comp change the boot up process so that the cd rom is first. That option will be in your BIOS.

1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3.DO NOT! choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP. IF AT THIS POINT THE OPTION TO PRESS ARE IS NOT PRESENT EXIT THE INSTALL AS IT WOULD OVERWRITE YOUR XP AND COULD DO DAMAGE!!.

6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom