How can I connect two computers so they can share Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOGA

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone.

I need to make a mini network or something. A system where I can connect two computers together so they can share files.

I do video editing and I need access to my computer with the music etc.

Is there a way to do with with an IEEE 1349 cable? (Fire Wire)

Any way that I can connect the two computers.

$opening = "::wavewave::";

echo = "Fire Wire will be to expensive I think, but like Superdave typed, a crossover cable, or router or switch will be your best bit.";

echo = "A cross over cable is just like a Cat 5 ethernet cable, with an alteration of the wires on one end. Nothing any one has to worry about, just have to know it's a cross over cable, and not a normal Ethernet cable. Connect it to both computers, and viola, instant connection (if your network cards in your computers work). Fastest setup of sharing files is to right click a folder you want to share, and go to 'Sharing & Security...'. Put a check in the 'Share this folder on the network' box, and 'Allow network users to change my files'. Click OK, and on your other computer you can access that folder and any thing inside as if it were directly on that machine. Open start menu and go to 'My Network Places'. After a few moments that folder should pop up in there. Gotta make sure your firewall on your first machine is allowing it to be seen.";

echo = "Router and Switch are pretty much the same thing. 15 bucks for a cheap switch, get any Cat 5 (Ethernet cable) for both computers, and connect them both to the switch/router. Follow the above for sharing a folder, and done.";

echo = "There are other ways to do this, but this is the fastest and easiest of them all.";

I already have firewire cable any idea about that?

Edit: I also have a my book external drive that has two fire wire ports. If I could some how transfer it between that.

Firewire is not expensive and it will work just fine.... .... I don't know where people get information from sometimes....

Transferring data between 2 PCs is simple with firewire.....first you'll need the cable.
You'll have to have a port on either PC. You mentioned that you have a cable but you have to make sure that the 1394 cable has the right ends on it. PCs (and firewire PCI cards) generally have a female 1394 port. If your 1394 cable has two male ends on it and your PCs have 2 females (1 on each) then you are in good shape. Literally just plug them in.

BTW, if you don't have at least Win2k or XP on them....it won't work. I think WinME works also but....yea whatever.

Anyway, once the two computers are connected you are going to go into your network properties for the firewire port (just like you would for the typical networking (Cat5/5e/etc) ports. Adjust the properties of the firewire network on each computer to contain an IP address (one for each computer) ... to get it working, you simply need an IP address and a subnet mask for each....nothing else.

PC1: IP = 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

PC2: IP = 192.168.1.11 (The 2 PCs must be different.....just use these)
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

Or just let them configure their own address.
The firewire network and fire sharing will work exactly like a typical Ethernet network will......so disable your software firewalls, enable fire/print sharing on both on them/etc.

Here are some tips....i don't really feel like typing a whole lot and reinvent the wheel that someone already got turning....so here...

WeetHet - Network - Using FireWire to connect 2 PC's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom