home network ???

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
ok, we now have 2 desktops, and 2 laptop computers at our home. is there any real advantage to network all of these together in a network? and can i even add wi-fi computers into a network with the wired ones? also, can other wireless devices (i pod touch, tablets, smart phones be made part of this? technology is invading my life, like it or not. i guess :eek:

Do they all access the internet? If so they are already on a network. The benefit of a home network is access to the internet and to sharing files if you so desire.

You can add wireless and wired devices to your network if you have a router.

Talk? You have to be more specific. Do you mean sharing files?

If so - each PC will have to be configured to share files. Depending on the windows versions you have running on each machine will determine how you accomplish this.

If everything is windows 7, microsoft makes this super easy using the homegroup under network and sharing.

If you have different OS's running, you will need to configure each pc separately.

well, that is my luck, 3 of them are running windows 7, and the 4th (which is actually the first and oldest) is running vista. it also has overwhelmingly the most files, becuase it has been and still is my main computer.

I would highly recommend using Google Drive or Dropbox if you have that many computers and lack technical experience or if you don't have interest in setting up HomeGroup. Both are free up to a certain extent (Google is 15 GB I believe, Dropbox is 2 GB) and can be installed on nearly any tablet, phone or computer.

Back
Top Bottom