hi all a bit of advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

amp_pig

Solid State Member
hi all had this forum on faves for a while now so i thort it was about time i joined :D ......right this is my comp....

amd 64 3000+ cpu
msi rs480m2 motherboard
hyper type r 580 w psu
1 gig stick Crucial ram

recently i opend my comp up and notest that the fan on my 6600gt graphics card had failed ..i was crashing a lot in games ,any way the card has had it :angry: sooo it time to shell out for another card i was looking at a Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB, it works out at £160 with delevery the main thing i want to know will this card be to much for my cpu and if so would i be better off getting another 6600gt for about £70

thanx for any advice ........amp_pig
:)

Very, and I mean very rarely will a GPU be bottlenecked by a CPU beyond a pentium 4 (your 64 will be fine). Your GPU has to do alot more than the CPU does and the CPU (unless it has to do alot more (norton ect)) will be able to throw out enough crap to keep it busy for awhile.

In otherwords, it works like this: your CPU shells over all of the processing data it can to the GPU and the GPU shells out all of the graphics it can, the faster of the two will slow down to the slower one, and normally that is the CPU slowing down to match the GPU.

If someone here wants to explain it better/I have something wrong please reply.

Oh and Welcome to TF

P.S. there is someone around here stating there is no such thing as a bottleneck, but I still believe that if there are two physical parts that are talking to one another then one has to slow down tfor the other or it will be swamped (kind of like windowing in networking)

thanks joshsb. one other thing i forgot to put , master and slave cards for crossfire . do i need 2 get a master card if im not going to crossfire or will a slave card be ok on its own ...bit confused thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom