Hefe uses Linux for 1 week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little confused about your questions with a file manager. To me when I hear file manager I think of Dolphin (KDE), Nautilus (Gnome), etc. Is that what you meant? Or do you need something else? Because Dolphin would be integrated into OpenSUSE (basically the "windows explorer" of linux).

Amarok is a pre-installed media player on the KDE platform, which you'd be running with the default OpenSUSE install. There are a -ton- of media players for Linux. Most recently I've been finding Audacious2 to be very nice to use. There's also VLC of course, Exaile, Rhythmbox, Banshee, XMMS2, and quite a few others that aren't coming to mind right now.

And yes - keep in mind if you part ways with Linux that you need to repair the Windows boot loader to resume using Windows in a single installation environment.

Enjoy your stay. Here's to hoping you find it a permanent home. :)

Yeah I am using Dolphin. It took me a bit to figure out where everything is. It appears as though I need to identify all my network shares. Should be no problem except I have to look because I cannot remember what I named them.

Sound is letting me down. It works as I hear sounds when it starts but no sound when playing music files or using firefox. I will have to do some research on that today.

As for choosing opensuse it came from a couple of very reliable recommendation.

I am sticking with it even though it is frustrating. With the time I have spent I would have had a Windows install singing but I am just getting Linux to talk. Of course I have set up hundreds of Windows boxes and this is my first Linux one.

Yeah I am using Dolphin. It took me a bit to figure out where everything is. It appears as though I need to identify all my network shares. Should be no problem except I have to look because I cannot remember what I named them.

Sound is letting me down. It works as I hear sounds when it starts but no sound when playing music files or using firefox. I will have to do some research on that today.

As for choosing opensuse it came from a couple of very reliable recommendation.

I am sticking with it even though it is frustrating. With the time I have spent I would have had a Windows install singing but I am just getting Linux to talk. Of course I have set up hundreds of Windows boxes and this is my first Linux one.

Yeah man. It's good to acknowledge that. Far too many people use Linux and give it the finger after they can't figure out something that they already know in Linux.

Being that you're on OpenSUSE I'm not entirely sure where to go with the sound problem. I know that Kubuntu's implementation of KDE left out PulseAudio, and I had an issue playing Firefox (YouTube) and Amarok music at the same time. The fix for me was to just change an audio setting in Amarok and it was fine. But I'm not entirely sure on this one. Try playing VLC and YouTube at the same time, and see if the problem is any different.

As for your network shares, I'm not entirely sure what your issue is. I use Linux all of the time to browse network shares at work, but I'm not sure if what I'm doing is also what you're trying to do.

What I suggest you do is install Samba. Samba is a protocol in which it allows Mac, Linux, and Windows networks to integrate together. It's an open source project that stemmed from the early 90s I believe. In OpenSUSE terminal I believe it'd be zypper samba (as root), unless you want to fire up YaST2 and look in add programs.

From there you can utilize Dolphin in a similar fashion you would utilize Microsoft's start-run-\\myserver feature, by opening Dolphin and showing the network path at the top. This is done by View - Navigation Bar - Editable Location. Then in that bar, you can type smb://server. smb = Samba protocol. So for me, I type in smb://Area51 and now I see all 6 shares on my Ubuntu box.

Give that a go and see where you end up.

It was a good learning experience. I was able to do 80% of what I need running Linux.

It took far longer for me to accomplish simple tasks due to my lack of knowledge.

If Windows did not exist I would be able to run linux and get work done.

I am currently typing this from Win 7. :)

I am currently typing this from Win 7. :)

sweet relief :grin:

linuxbash.png

No bashing. I can see the appeal.

I just have a few statistical packages (sas, spss) that require windows along with games, which makes it a better everyday option for me.

No bashing. I can see the appeal.

I just have a few statistical packages (sas, spss) that require windows along with games, which makes it a better everyday option for me.

Had you only needed Windows for gaming, you could treat the OS's in a manner I do. Despite me having twice the years in experience on Windows, I do everything in Linux, except game. It's just kind of how the cards landed on the table as I molded to certain things.

I look at keeping Windows for gaming like console users look at their console. When you want to game, you fire up the Xbox and change the channel. Do your little login thing to your Live subscription and get online and kick some ***. I reboot my computer, do my login thing, and there I am doing the same thing.

I find it admirable you gave it a solid, fair shot. Most people use it for 10 seconds and demand to know where the start button is, or how they can do xyz Windows functions in Linux. I encourage you to keep learning with it. There's absolutely no cons in being familiar with another platform - if anything, it'll simply help, especially out there in the job market. That's the exact reason that, despite my pretty stern personal preferences against it, I still use a Mac as much as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom