Setting up OpenVPN and PIA on Linux Mint 18 Sara.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Over the last few weeks I have set up various OS's and installed the VPN service for use with a domestic line. Their are a lot of "Types" of VPN's available and when you dig deeper they become more complex such as tunneling or a given alternative but they are becoming the most common as a way to protect your On-line Identity.

I use PIA (Private Internet Access) and with the correct level of knowledge it is actually possible to go about daily life in general and to some extent surf anonymously. From what I can tell their is very little on PIA's web site in the way of setting up an OpenVPN with Linux Mint despite I believe LM being the flagship OS of the Nix* OS it self for PIA.

When setting up OpenVPN under Nix* or in this case installing the OpenVPN Framework. At the time of shipping the OS it will be included I believe in the CD or DVD but don't take my word as 100% on that as for any updates it will be best to check with a live Internet connection.

First of all.

Boot the terminal. You can access this threw the Mint Menu on the GUI Desktop. Next enter the following.

sudo apt-get update

Next enter the following to download the OpenVPN Network Manager.

sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-openvpn-gnome

Next in order to set this up correctly. Enter the following ..

sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

Were as it says managed; delete and type "true"

Next hit

Ctrl & x
then hit "Y"
and press enter.

After this restart the computer and load back to the desktop.

Again using the terminal you need to create a directory and download the OpenVPN files.

So do the following.

mkdir ~/PIA-Setup_files

cd ~/PIA-Setup_files

Download the packages from the web using the terminal while in this directory.

wget http://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip

If you wish Copy and Paste the above link.

Next

unzip openvpn.zip

Finally.
Close the terminal by typing EXIT or closing it with your mouse.

As of this moment I'm currently Logged in to my KDE Linux Mint 18 Sara Desktop so I will provide the following instruction for this version being Linux Mint 18 Sara KDE.

Right Click on the little computer Icon in the task tray were the system time is and left click "Configure Network Connections."

You need to select "Add" under Connection Manager.

Select under the options available "Open VPN"

In order to set up the connection select connection type and select "Password."

You need to select the certificate (.crt \ .cer) .you have just downloaded from the Web from the directory you just saved it too and you can do this using the GUI to navigate.

Available from the web you can select from the following destination lists on their site using this link.

http://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/network/

Select the destination you want and copy the URL over to the Gateway as available under VPN (openvpn) tab. Type you connection name such as PIA - USA or PIA - Germany .

Give it a descriptive name so you will not be confused as to the service. PIA & the Destination.

Enter your credential as you name and password you sent by E Mail. Exit the configuration saving any changes and selecting O.K if need be.

If you want you can Reboot the Computer to refresh the full system.

When you have set this up. You simply Left Click and select your VPN from the pop up box in the corner of the screen.

If you wish to contact PIA you can ask them for additional as I have done DNS Servers Addresses and enter the Information accordingly under the likes of IPv4 Settings.

I'm not 100% but I have read people disabling IPv6 as opposed to v4 as it is still the most commonly and widely used.

================================================

Under the likes of Cinnamon, MATE, and XFCE Linux Mint 18 Sara. The options are greatly the same for setting this up and if you follow the terminal commands you should hopefully not have a problem. A good bit of common scene and curiosity will get you threw it as a lot of the Menu and layouts are different but when setting up the Network Configurations for each distribution essentially they are similar under the surface.

Back
Top Bottom