Guidance for Hotel wifi installation

On a side note you might want to block peer to peer traffic like utorrent to keep guests from downloading illegal files. I've seen these GIS-R4 Internet Gateway's that will get the job done.
It'll keep those pesky copy wrights off your back! :)

@i2D if i were to use a PoE switch id then have to run PoE cables right?
thats the cost im trying to potentially remove buy using the existing ethernet cables. additionally we have our own electrician who can wire power sockets much more readily than having to run cables all over the place.
correct me if i have misunderstood how PoE switches work though!

I answered this in my first post. I'm not sure if it was overlooked or what. PoE is ONLY to provide power to whatever is at the other end (in your case, access points). If those access points have a power plug that requires a wall outlet, then you don't need PoE. If those APs get their power through the Ethernet cables, then it will require a PoE switch. It depends on what equipment you're using and nothing more.

when it comes to access points im happy to put as many as necessary. i've got in touch with an independant engineer and hopefully he can come and shed some light on the situation as well.

Good idea if you've never mapped wireless coverage before. It can definitely be tricky and requires the right software and time (time being more important so that it's done right). You don't need a ton of APs unless the signal is just that horrible from one location to the next from interference. Too many APs can be just as bad as too few, so plan carefully.

Sand, Given the size/levels of the hotel it will need to be implemented correctly the first time, and use a network engineer who can map the wifi coverage correctly. Otherwise you'll be calling out engineers more than once to fix the dead spots.

+1
This ties into my last statement. :)

Back
Top Bottom