Grub rescue?

Monoloco

Solid State Member
Hi,

I recently tried to partition my drive into windows 7 and lubuntu and cocked up a little.

Windows disappeared and I was left with lubuntu. Not a huge drama. I tried to reinstall windows however it didn't complete and now when I turn on the pc I get a grub rescue prompt.

I have tried to boot windows from the CD/DVD drive - nothing.

I have tried to boot lubuntu again from a flash drive - nothing.

Currently have a HP Pavillion laptop which I can't use.

Would anyone be able to offer any advice on how to get it working again with either operating system?!

I did contemplate buying another copy of windows to load on, but if all I can get is the grub rescue prompt, I'm not sure this would work and I'd have spent another £140 on the discs!

Any help greately appreciated as I have rather a lot os ftudying to do and really need to get this working as soon as.

Many thanks,

ML

I wouldn't bother with installing another copy of Microsoft anything in this situation. You have Windows on there, you have Linux on there, you just don't have a boot loader. It also sounds like your inability to boot to a CD or flash drive is by something else unrelated, because no matter how borked the operating systems get, you should always be able to boot to external media. Are you sure you have your BIOS settings configured right to boot to flash drives or CD drives? Are you sure you're hitting the right key during boot to bring up the boot menu in order to select which device to boot to?

What I would do is boot to a LiveCD or LiveUSB of Ubuntu or Linux of some sort that uses Grub2. Then follow the remainder of this guide. I just used this guide this past weekend with success.

How To Fix GRUB 2 [Linux] ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

Back
Top Bottom