Good Linux OS for a outdated labtop

elementary was ok had a few quirks I didn't like.. but over all a very nicely built OS...

What about jolicloud?

Indeed. Elementary OS was my daily driver until some of these quirks got in the way. Not to derail the thread (but hey, maybe this info will build a better picture if the user wants to try elementary OS or not), but my mother and wife use elementary OS and absolutely love it. No problems at all. That said, they are different users than I am. I am almost always connected to a file server, pulling files over, syncing files back, etc. The file manager is absolute trash. I cannot stress this enough. It's an embarrassment to the distro itself as it's just 'that' bad. I have a 2 minute video on YouTube with a 100% but fully updated fresh install showing it crashing about 20-22 times in that short time frame. Like I said, this is largely when I am utilizing file servers, or even with several windows open moving stuff here, there, back over here, etc. Some of their other apps are also problematic as well, but not nearly as much as the default file manager.

On the flip side, you can install additional software to replace these default applications, so on one hand it's hardly an issue depending on how you look at it. For some reason I have continually come back to Ubuntu time and time again despite the multitude of other distros I've used. I just have to worry about it less when it comes to keeping things running without fuss. That said, Ubuntu isn't exactly for 10 year old hardware, so that's why I leaned towards Lubuntu for the most part as you get a lightweight desktop environment with Ubuntu compatibility under the hood.

But hey, just my 0.02.

Personally i recommend Ubuntu. it might not be the best of choice but i have this on my old laptop and it runs smoothly.

-Andre i hope this helped

Back
Top Bottom