Getting married!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spud, what are you planning in terms of specific services at your wedding? My wedding is coming up this October, and things (of course) are reaching a financial point that is becoming quite stressful, so we're trying to be smart and cut corners where we can. The thought came up about eliminating the DJ and doing all of our own music. I have a huge music library, a lot of which would be applicable to the wedding anyway even if we did have a DJ. I have a stereo hooked up to my computer as well. It's not huge, it's not professional grade, but there are built in powered subwoofers in the speakers along with some decent mid range drivers. Playing some Pink Floyd .flac files out of it can really blow your mind, and the volume levels can reach from its home in the basement to the outside patio quite easily... so we began thinking about lugging along my desktop (and a laptop as a backup) and rigging that up to the stereo and doing our own music. My brothers are musicians, and would likely have that job managing the playlists (which we would build ahead of time anyway), etc. This could save us 1-2 grand easy...

I did some Googling about this... some people have had horror stories with the DJ they've chosen where the DJ basically says "this is my party and I'm running the show" (thereby refusing to play specific music thanks to their own ego driven attitude with believing they're in control and the show is for them) whereas others reported having DJs that are a joy to work with and people thought they were worth every penny. At any rate, it's a thought on the table, and an idea we will likely pursue a bit to see if there's any real bearing to go this route. So far, so good... but further testing shall dictate whether the money is worth putting down.

Have you considered any "home brewed" services like this? Or are you guys going all out with professional everything? Curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Oh, and congratulations! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom