Final version of free Microsoft Security Essentials to ship September 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Microsoft is now confirming MSE will ship on September 29. From a spokesperson: “I can confirm that Microsoft Security Essentials, the company's highly anticipated no cost consumer security offering, will be released to the public tomorrow, September 29th.” It will be available in 19 markets worldwide, according to the company.

MSE is the replacement for Windows Live OneCare and a superset of Windows Defender. Microsoft officials have said it will work on Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista and WIndows 7. More than 400,000 testers are believed to have downloaded the test version of MSE.

Microsoft is targeting MSE at customers who are unwilling and unable to pay for security software. Company officials have said they believed it was worth offering customers a free product to help thwart security breaches on unprotected Windows PCs that potentially could be used to infect other users' systems.

On September 29, Microsoft also is holding a Webcast where CEO Steve Ballmer is planning to detail how Microsoft customers can, with less, do more. It's part of the company's “New Efficiency” enterprise-focused campaign and is slated to touch on a host of soon-to-be-shipping Microsoft products, including Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Exchange 2010, Forefront, System Center and the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack.

Source

Mak, I aasume it isn't going to be any different than the current one other than beta to official release. Do you agree?

thx

Mak, I aasume it isn't going to be any different than the current one other than beta to official release. Do you agree?
thx
I have no more information on this than you. I just found this article and posted it. I was not privledge to any extra information about this. microsoft has been very tight lipped about this Beta.
When would downloading be available? Website?

I'll just google it in an hour, just curious if you had that info.
As i said above, you know as much as i do. I havent found anything on it yet. I would suspect that it would be live around 10AM PST which is their time zone. Possibly even 12PM PST.

Here you go. This is going to be the site. Just have to wait for it to go live.

Microsoft Security Essentials Markets

Looks like its available for download now. Gotta update it on my laptop from the Beta version...

Just a heads up, this is NEWER than the one that us Beta Tesers were using. Even after the 1.0.15 update. This is 1.1.16 so it should be installed. You can just download the installer and it will update it for you!

Current info on this build:

Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1611.0
Antimalware Client Version: 2.0.6212.0
Engine Version: 1.1.5101.0
Antivirus definitions: 1.67.166.0
Antispyware definitions: 1.67.166.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom